a few questions from a new guy?

x4design

Registered
hey all, this is my first post on this board so I would like to say "HELLO" to all you macosx.com users. I am a student web designer a recently purchased my first apple system.

I have aquired (the way a student would get it.. hint hint) the MX package for OS X but I am unable to get any of the software pieces to run in OS X. The software will run great is OS 9 but not at all in OSX. When I run Flash, Fireworks and Dreamweaver MX in OS X it opens the software load up great and then crashes as soon as it has completely loaded and shows the first screen that is gray and asks about being a designer and developer etc...? The exact error says something like"The apllication Dreamweaver MX has unexpectedly quit. The system and other applications have not been affected". How can I get this is work? Any ideas. Photoshop 7 and Illustrator 10 are running great but none of the MX packages will run. This is on a Titamium 667mHz Book running OS X 10.1.4.

My second question is, is can anyone point me to some websites that will help me learn to format my mac HD and reinstall OSX and OS9 on my system properly?

I REALLY appericate any help you all can give me. And thanks alot for helping a starving student designer.

corban
x4design@projectx4.com

Hi !

I can't give you an answer to your first question because I don't have any of those MX's..

But for the second question do the following :

1. Boot your Mac holding down the C key with the OS X CD inserted.

2. Start the application "Disk Utility"

3. Create your partitions how you like it, for example 30 % of your available HD space for OS 9.x and 70 % for OS X

4. Format your partitions and make sure you checked the box "Install Mac OS 9 Drivers" so you can access both partitions from both OSes

5. Now proceed the installation of each one (I recommend OS X on the first partition)

Hope that helped you out a bit,

Greetings

Stephan H

Hi there,
I have a PowerBook running 10.1.5 and I have no worries running Studio MX, it runs like a train. I have the original Macromedia CD but used the installers downloaded from there webstore. So I can think of a few reasons why it's crashing:

1. Corrupted install files (if they are hacks this is very likely the case, as they usually are quite unstable; one good reason to go for legal stuff ;) )
2. Doesn't work right under 10.1.4, this would be stange because the sys requirements are 10.1 and higher ( See here) you could install 10.1.5 and see if that works
3. Your OS X installation is stuffed, well reinstall (looks like you were planning this anyway)
4. Fonts issues, i've had my Office X crash because of corrupt fonts installed, try to (temporarily) remove the fonts and see if that's the problem.

If it's none of these I wouldn't know. I really like the way Studio MX works and quite stable for me too. Even though there are quite a few bugs and Freehand sucks the fat kumara, Flash & DW are unequalled.

Hope this helps ya.
cheers,
spif

hey guys I appericate all the info about my questions. I am planning on buying the Studio MX package from macromedia soon. I was just trying to test them out before I did. I guess I will just have to make to until I can come up with the money to purchase the Studio MX.

About formatting my system and starting over. Is that reall all I have to do? Is it pretty easy for a new mac user to accomplish? I have built my share of PC's so it doesn't sound to much different. I hope it all works out. Thanks alot for all you guys help.

Hi x4design !

First of all you''re welcome.
If you have experience with PC's you should be able to install everything without any problems...and if not you still got the manuals or this forum.

Enjoy your Mac

Back