a high pitch constant beep

Elliotjnewman

Registered
I just heard a high pitch constant squeel coming from what sounds like the back of my G4 dual 1.25. running Panther... Had to turn off the machine to fix it. What the hell was that?

It depends on how you connect to the internet: do you use dial-up or DSL/Cable/LAN?

If you use DSL/Cable/LAN, make sure you've disabled the Modem port in the Network Preference Pane. Otherwise, your computer could try and use the modem to dial-up, which may have caused the sound.

Also, which is it? - a constant high-pitched whine (continuous) or a high-pitched beep (fairly short and repeats)?
Lots of possibilities : Modem; power supply, hard drives occasionally make beeping noises, your video card may have a fan, or could create something like a beep; the processor can emit strange noises; your system should have a small fan on the processor that can get noisy also.
If you drop open the side door, you might be able to localize the noise. This is perfectly safe, as long as you don't start poking around inside,

well I dont think its a fan as it starts immediately, and doesnt slowly build up. I have a broadband connection through external hardware, I dont use dial-up. The sound is a constant high-pitched whine (continuous). The next time it happens I will open the hood and localise it, although its only ever happened twice...

Do you have an APS battery back up surger at your outlet? I noticed my honey's battery backup makes a whine occasionally.

well I really dont know what it is. the machine wasnt responding either when I was trying to open folders and apps etc... The next time it happens I will try and locate the noise...

When I first got my G4 I had a s imilar problem wheever the machine went to sleep - it must ahve been the fan, but re-seating it and cleaning around it had no effect - in the end I just ran it without power save options and not sleeping it but shutting down when not in use for a week or so, then it went away...

I have heard hard drive bearings make a sound very much like the one you described. In Disk Utility, check the S.M.A.R.T. readings just to be sure there isn't something going on there.

Back