A Pismo and Disk Warrior

Lord_Brock

Registered
Hello: I have a Pismo (500mhz), which I love, and which has never given me any problems. Several days ago I reformatted its 12GB hard drive, which had an OS 9 on it, into a purely Jaguar (10.2.8) drive, with no partitions, merely a single drive.

Now, when I start up from my Disk Warrior CD and attempt to run the app, the HD does not show up ... and when I open the start up disk control panel, the Pismo HD is not listed.

Any insight/solutions out there? Everything else is working as usual.

you needed to have installed the os 9 drivers when you reformatted. just because you're not going to keep a working copy of os 9 on the drive doesn't mean you don't need the drivers. time to reformat again if you want to be able to boot from an os 9 cd and have your hd work at the same time.

an older DW cd? latest DW is version 3.0
An older DW may be an OS 9 startup, and reformatting the hard drive has removed the OS 9 drivers, hence the drive won't be visible to OS 9 (you will have to reformat again to install the OS 9 drivers)

Very good answers, and they happen to be correct. I did not install the drivers!

That said, if I have Disk Warrior 3.0, would I need the OS 9 drivers?

Lord Brock

Pismo and Quicksilver

The DW 3.0 repair CD is supposed to boot into OS X, so the short answer about OS 9 drivers is : No, not for the DW boot CD. However, consider if you need to use this drive under OS 9 ever again, you should then consider a reformat for those drivers.

And to do so, the simple thing is to: Use the OS X Install disks and erase and then reformat, checking the "install OS 9 drivers" box?

If so, and if I do not intend to use the Pismo for anything OS 9, does any recommend NOT having the Pismo HD as an OS X-only drive?

Answering your first question, yes, that's it!

You have an OS 9 capable system, it's your decision if you want the drive to not be accessible to OS 9 drive repair tools. If you prefer not reformatting at this time, and it's working OK with OS X, why not leave it at that? A recommendation doesn't mean much if it doesn't cover your potential needs. But, if it were me, I would cover the possibilities with the OS 9 drivers (what if??)

Perhaps my last query in this thread: Is it worth initializing a HD? (And how does one do so? I have done it in the past, on an ancient Performa, but cannot seem to find an "initialize" command now.)

ALso, can someone point me to a primer, or sources of info, concerning the merits of having two HDs on, say, a Quicksilver 933 and keeping all photos/music/video on one drive and the OS on the other? I am considering getting a 2nd drive.

Finally, I recently purchased a firewire external drive, and have Retrospect Express ... do I need to back-up EVERYTHING? Just key files? And if the latter, which ones?

And really finally, how can I get iPhoto images and email imported into a newly formatted HD? (This I need because I made the Pismo drive OS X only, so backed up the drive to the external drive and now have new - and empty apps which I would like to fill with the files on the firewire disk!

You guys are very helpful!

That's a lot of questions for 'one last query':p
You're talking semantics here. The only choice you have is the 'erase'. which re-formats the drive, in this case erase=initialize (removes partitions if you want to, just choose the device itself to erase, rather than one partition, which simply erases that partition.) there's also an option button there, which gives you a choice to zero the drive (writes zeros to the entire drive) better from a security view, but you're probably looking for is a 'low-level' format, which is not practical at the user level with IDE drives(the older macs with SCSI drives have this option)
2. more storage is good. IMHO.
3. retrospect Express should give you options that answer your question about selective backups
4. I can only speak to the iPhoto, Hook up the external drive, find the backed of iPhoto Library (move the whole folder together into your user/Pictures folder. Now reopen iPhoto, see if your pix show up as normal. There's a hidden option, hold opt and shift while opening iPhoto, it will ask if you want to rebuild your library. (that is a very long process, can take hours with a large library, but can be worthwhile if parts of your collection don't show up the first time.
Mail I don't have good luck with, someone here may help, but open a new thread so it will be easily noticed.

first, it won't hurt to have os 9 drivers installed even if you never have a use for them (but you obvoiusly do at this point). they won't slow anything down. they're just there if you need them. i've never understood why anyone wouldn't install them just as a precaution.

second, there are advantages to having a second drive if (a) you have a crowded boot drive - you can move the caches and swap files to the other drive and reduce fragmenting and time to access swap files. (b) if you do alot of graphic intensive work or lots of interneting. anything that does lots of caching or repeated saving and editing. resoning is bascially the same as (a). (c) you work with excessively large files that might squeeze out the available free space on the main drive. this isn't as much of an issue if you have moved your swap files to another disk, but just using one it can happen occasionally.

my own advice about a second drive - don't go too big. smaller drives mean faster access. so unless you are collecting hundreds of gb size files, i wouldn't get too caught up in 'more is better'.

For me, the best reason to have a second drive is for backup. I have three drives in my machine, one is for backup only. I use Carbon Copy Cloner once a week to clone my main drive to the backup drive, and a program called iMSafe to backup my important files daily. Hard drives go bad, if mine goes, I won't lose anything.

Back