A soft router for OS X ?

Dekatophil

Registered
Hi all,

I would like to use my DSL line with both my G4 desktop and my iBook. A second network card is there. Now, does anybody know of a good software router ?
(Any further tips on this subject are also appreciated).

Thanks

I think some of the firewall software like Brickhouse do the trick. Also there's a Vicom solution for Mac OS X and IPNetRouter. A UNIX guy can help you do it on your own.

A good way to start, if you want to really customize things, might be to use IPNetRouter to set up connection sharing, and have it run at startup.

Then it installs a startup item at /Library/IPNetRouter or something, and you can customize that. It gets you a simple working script that you can start from as an example...

What sort of DSL modem do you have? Connected by ethernet, or USB? Is it a DSL router or simply a modem(for lack of a better term)

Does your DSL modem/router have a static ip or dynamic? Does it assign your main computer with an ip via DHCP or do you have it manually configured?

What sort of ethernet address does the computer that is currently connected to the DSL modem/router have? Is it of the 10.0.0.1 or 192.168.0.1 variety, or is it a "Real IP address" that can be pinged from the internet?

All this stuff is important if we are to help you setup a darwin based router. Routes can be added in Darwin so you shouldn't have to buy more software(though it might make it a bit simpler to do).

Essentially, I am guessing that you will have to set a NAT router(Network address translation) to make this all work... but give us the rest of the details so that we can save you some money on software.

Can OS X by itself handle and of these?

Port forwarding/mappings
DHCP
NAT
IP Filtering
Multiple IPs on one NIC
Proxy serving
VPN Passthrough

Anything else my router hardware does? The biggest thing is port mapping cause I only get like 10 fields for ports and port ranges, it'd be nice if it called some kind of config file that I could put as many as I wanted in.

while I am way more familiar with the way FreeBSD does these things, I would imagine, that since FreeBSD can do it, Darwin should be able to as well.

Granted, Darwin doesn't have as big a ports collection to choose from but I would be willing to bet that all the things you mentioned are doable in Darwin, or any other UNIX like OS that I can think of.

I would check the other active Darwin boards for a more complete answer. Just remember, if windows can do it, MacOSX would probably do it better(ok games aside :)

What sort of DSL modem do you have? Connected by ethernet, or USB? Is it a DSL router or simply a modem(for lack of a better term)

>Connected by ethernet. It's a modem+splitter...

Does your DSL modem/router have a static ip or dynamic? Does it assign your main computer with an ip via DHCP or do you have it manually configured?

> I'm using PPPoE with a dynamic IP

What sort of ethernet address does the computer that is currently connected to the DSL modem/router have? Is it of the 10.0.0.1 or 192.168.0.1 variety, or is it a "Real IP address" that can be pinged from the internet?

>It's either of the 80. ... or 217. .... variety >and yes, it can be pinged.

...so that we can save you some money on software.

>Looking forward to it :)
Thanks a lot so far !

I figured I would check the database first before rewriting something that someone else has posted... check this thread out...

There are plenty of entries on how to get natd working... do a search for natd and it will give you a ton of threads to go from.

Hopefully this will get you on the right track.

Back