AAC files

mw84

Registered
Does anyone know of a way (other than using Quicktime Pro) to convert mp3 files to aac? Cheers for any help.

As I understand it, m4a files _are_ aac files (and m4p are DRMed aac files).

The phone (reason why I'm trying to do this) will only accept sound files with a .aac file extension, so m4a and the like won't even send. I just Googled m4a and basically read what you said Ora, 'm4a is a aac file with the music artwork and tags'. Somehow I need to 'unwrap' these aac files from within the m4a and get a raw .aac file, with that .aac file extension?

Ahh, ok. I'm not sure how you unwrap them but you might just try renaming the files to .aac, works in some cases. Anyone else got any ideas?

Hmm... QuickTime Pro or Compressor (which comes with Final Cut... which, if you have Final Cut, means you also got a QT Pro license) are the ways I know of doing it. Sowwy.

I'd go with just changing the .m4a extension to .aac ... It will probably work.

Hmmm... I seem to recall some sort of utility that strips the encryption information out of iTunes store-bought files... but I forget if it turned things into regular .m4a or .aac format..... Hrmmm.... I also don't know if it works anymore... it's probably been crippled by Apple's updates.... anybody remember?

there is a program called "ffmpegX" for mac. it will change more or less any audio/video file to any audio/video file. you can google it and download it for free, but at every launch it asks you to pay $15 for it. dont bother and just click "Try for free". the only problem is that it does not work alone, you have to download other, smaller programs to get it to work. it tells you the names (there are 3). just google them, download them, hide them somewhere away on your computer, and then just tell ffmpegX where to find them.

good luck to you

cyprus mac man said:
.... just google them, download them, hide them somewhere away on your computer, and then just tell ffmpegX where to find them.
You don't have to Google them. Their URLs are given when you launch ffmegX for the first time.

hey there. you shouldn't need qt pro, infact you don't want it. the aac files it'll make will end in m4a too. there are free apps that will pull the aac audio out of m4a wrapper files. all of the aac files itunes make are m4a, regardless of if theres a drm in the file or not. i learned all this while looking for info on my phone too. but better yet, there are apps that will convert mp3s to aac that the phone will use. i would try moviesformypod. when configered to do so it will turn mp3s into aac files. and best of all, its free.

I've never used sinclair's program, but allow me to reiterate the flexibility of ffmpegx. The program is absolutely invaluable to me. I've had a gigantic variety of video and audio, but none of which it couldn't read.

I went for the Moviesformypod option. I had tried ffmpegx beforehand and I kept getting files with a .avi extension or sometimes nothing at all. I'm not sure, I must be using it wrong because I constantly have problems like that with it.

Anyway, thanks for all the help, everything is cushty now.

Back