Absolute minimum spec for OSX

bookem

danno
I know this has been discussed before, but i can't fnd the post. Can anyone tell me what the absolute minimum spec for OSX is?

See http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/requirements.html

Well, Apple say that "all iMacs" can run OS X. So, why not use the original Bondi blue iMac (1998) as a start?

• 233 MHz G3 processor
    66 MHz bus (I think)
    ATI Rage (?) graphics card with 2MB of SGRAM to start
    4 GB hard drive
    512 KB L2 cache
    32 KB L1 cache

Oh yes... 128MB RAM would be a requirement too.

But I'd hate to actually have to use OS X on that spec...!

Beware that if you attempt to use Jaguar on an older machine, you will not get XPostFacto to load the kernel in its current state (BootX just stops, and you can only restart, the SCOD doesn't even show up... Apple made some changes that broke support with the 10.1 BootX that Ryan modified)...

10.1 is usable, and I would bet that 10.2 is fairly bearable on an 8600 once I get around the BootX issue.

i was wondering if anyone had tried 10.2 on older "unsupported" hardware. I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised by the performance of X on my 8600. I mean, obviously, QuickTime and 3D were a no-go (as they would be on an original iMac, beige G3, etc.), but the OS itself wasn't too bad, even with the stock 300MHz 604 and 128MB of RAM ...

It would be great if Apple would release a version of OS X tweaked to run on older hardware a little faster. I doubt it would take that much effort, and it would enable people to take legacy networks of Macs up to an entire OS X affair. Yummy.

Well, I TRIED to get Jaguar working, but because of a major change or two in BootX and the kernel... it just won't boot. Verbose mode gives me nothing, which hints at something going bad before the kernel is even ready to go... not fun.

Hopefully someone (Ryan Rempel is the best bet right now) will figure out what is going on and un-break the un-support.

Originally posted by Krevinek
Well, I TRIED to get Jaguar working, but because of a major change or two in BootX and the kernel... it just won't boot. Verbose mode gives me nothing, which hints at something going bad before the kernel is even ready to go... not fun.

Hopefully someone (Ryan Rempel is the best bet right now) will figure out what is going on and un-break the un-support.
Because Jaguar is supposed to offload all of the Finder 2D video to the video card, and because this requires a modern video card, I would not expect it to EVER work on your 8600...

That isn't true, and even if it was, it would crash MUCH later in the boot process. Acceleration isn't even loaded until the blue screen. I would be getting some info from the kernel otherwise.

Plus if you are telling the truth, then Apple also dropped support for all non-AGP Macs in 10.2, which isn't.

Your argument doesn't exactly hold any water. Hell, Apple apparently didn't change how graphics drivers work from 10.1 to 10.2 either, which further proves otherwise.

Oh, should I also mention OS X 10.1 AND Jaguar still have support for the 'control' video device compiled in? IIRC, the only Apple-built machines that used this were the PowerSurge models. So I think this kinda points out that Apple would have willingly supported the PowerSurge models had there not been GUI performance problems and CPU utilization problems to no end in the public beta.

Originally posted by Krevinek
Oh, should I also mention OS X 10.1 AND Jaguar still have support for the 'control' video device compiled in? IIRC, the only Apple-built machines that used this were the PowerSurge models. So I think this kinda points out that Apple would have willingly supported the PowerSurge models had there not been GUI performance problems and CPU utilization problems to no end in the public beta.

What is the "control" video device? Would that be the A/V card in the Beige G3s? I just picked one up for my desktop beige g3 and i know it doesn't currently work in OS X... but perhaps in 10.2. It would be a shame to have to boot into 9 to use the thing.

i have just gotten a Power Macintosh 7200/75 and will be upgrading it soon with a Sonnet Technology G4 upgrade card along with adding the max amount of RAM... anyways...

would OS 10.1.X work on this system pretty well?

also, on the motherboard, there are 3 "VRAM" slots and (i think) 4 "DRAM" slots...

does VRAM mean Video RAM? If so, where can I get some modules to upgrade this? I know i'll need at least 8 or more...

btw... this is my first mac... just got it for FREE from work... so i know jack ***** about macs...

For VRAM, I have 2MB in my 8600 and it works just fine... I just can't go up to 1280x1024 which is a little annoying considering I just got used to it on a V3.

Control is the onboard video used for the PowerSurge models. The Beige G3 used an ATi Rage video chipset.

Originally posted by benpoole
See http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/requirements.html

Well, Apple say that "all iMacs" can run OS X. So, why not use the original Bondi blue iMac (1998) as a start?

• 233 MHz G3 processor
    66 MHz bus (I think)
    ATI Rage (?) graphics card with 2MB of SGRAM to start
    $GB hard drive
    512KB L2 cache
    32KB L1 cache

Oh yes... 128MB RAM would be a requirement too.

But I'd hate to actually have to use OS X on that spec...!

Well, it runs fine on my Bondi iMac - and the only thing that I've done is push the memory up to 320MB.

It's given it a whole new lease of life - before it was seeming pretty tired and due for replacement, but now I reckon that it's good for another couple of years...

Originally posted by BlingBling 3k12
i have just gotten a Power Macintosh 7200/75 and will be upgrading it soon with a Sonnet Technology G4 upgrade card along with adding the max amount of RAM... anyways...

also, on the motherboard, there are 3 "VRAM" slots and (i think) 4 "DRAM" slots...

does VRAM mean Video RAM? If so, where can I get some modules to upgrade this? I know i'll need at least 8 or more...

btw... this is my first mac... just got it for FREE from work... so i know jack ***** about macs...

Check out Other World Computing for good prices on great upgrades. I'd stick in a FireWire/USB card, a 16MB video card (or the new 32MB Radeon 7000 if you can part w/ $100), a few more megs of VRAM for the onboard video (that way you'll have killer dual-monitor capabilities), and a G3 upgrade. Also, check around on Refurb Madness for specials and cheap upgrade options. If you are integrating it into a network, consider a faster network card (around $20) and you're set. It'll be a very fine machine. Also, for specs on your model (and all other models), check out EveryMac.com
Hope this helps

Originally posted by theravednh
Well, it runs fine on my Bondi iMac - and the only thing that I've done is push the memory up to 320MB.

It's given it a whole new lease of life - before it was seeming pretty tired and due for replacement, but now I reckon that it's good for another couple of years...
Crikey. Does it really run OK? I've seen some on this forum with older Macs running OS X say that windows take 5- 6 seconds to re-size and wot-not.

I have a bondi iMac (rev B), with 256 MB RAM. The system's got slightly more VRAM and a larger HD than the original original iMac, but that's about it. I'm still on 8.6, so I'd be intrigued to know more about other bondi iMac owners' experiences with OS X.

From what I can see, 10.2 is going to be the way to go for these older machines. Not only (from what I hear) will OpenGL and QuickTime render far faster, the overall speed improvements and network improvements will make 10.2 a "must-have" for all OS X capable Mac owners.

honestly, I had 10.1 running on my beige G3 and I gave it up. Too many tradeoffs in performance and functionality to be worthwhile. Now when 10.2 comes out, i have a strong feeling I'll be able to switch back, but for the time being I'm going to bide my time.

As is the mantra in the computer field, WAIT - the additions/updates/improvements in 10.2 will definitely make it more worthwhile. besides, its the type of upgrade that I for one like to do a fresh install of. why install 10.1 for lousy performance when you're just going to updating to 10.2 in the near future anyway?

Originally posted by BlingBling 3k12

Just remember those ain't PC100 DIMM sockets, although they may look similar. You need 5v FPM DIMMS for these old beasts. OWC Sell 128Mb for around $25, and they only charge $30 to ship it to the other side of the world.

Originally posted by dricci
http://www.sonnettech.com/product/crescendo_7200.html

Doesn't look like you'll be able to go past 9.1

Why ? Because what sonnet says ? Sonnet has released a little soft to "enable" complete installation of OSX with their crescendo PCI upgrade cards. And they sell it 30$. According to me, they didn't test OSX abilities of a 7200 upgrade (this card is quite new, the market is very small, it's useless).
I'm about thinking that with some upgrades, like those mentioned thedbp (and full cache, also), a 7200 could works. As a server, for instance. I will try it.

Back