Acrobat won't go away in Word/Excel toolbar

scotsman9

Registered
Hi All,

I recently installed Acrobat onto my Mac. Now whenever I launch anything from MS Office, there is also 2 new icons in an acrobat toolbar that opens every time. Even after deselecting it or closing this toolbar it reappears again the next time I launch one of the Office apps. How can I switch it off and keep it off until I actually choose to have it appear?

Thanks.....Scott

Which office version are you talking about? If it's Office X try "Customize..." which you can find in the menu "Tools". If nothing seems to work and you didn't adjust anything on your word (customized view), you can try to delete the file "com.microsoft.Word.plist" in the home/Library/Preferences folder.
Good luck!

Hi...thanks for the replies. Looks like I'll have to delete com.microsoft.Word.plist as nothing else stops this from coming back. So is it OK to delete this file (and the excel, ppt version)? What else does it do?

Thanks....S

deleting the plist files will put the application into the default mode as a fresh installation. If you customized your view and your icons in word or excel, you will lose them as the application will run in the default mode. Do be sure the problem is fixed with deleting the plist files and won't be for nothing, simply move those plists.

I noticed MacAddict's recent "bug fixing" issue addressed this very problem. When I get home tonight, I'll post their solution.

Note to developers: make things like this optional.

OK. It is on page 54 of MacAddict issue # 101 (January 2005) in the Ask Us section.

Delete the following files:
/Applications/Microsoft Office X or 2004/Office/Startup/Excel/PDFMaker.xla
/Applications/Microsoft Office X or 2004/Office/Startup/PowerPoint/PDFMaker.ppa
/Applications/Microsoft Office X or 2004/Office/Startup/Word/PDFMaker.dot

scotsman9: can you try restarting the computer and then opening Word or Excel again? For some reason, I remember hearing that the PDF menu shows back up after a restart... :(

Back