Add FW to usb external HD

drewsof

Registered
i have a silver/black seagate usb external and i recently opened it up to swap out the drive. i noticed that along with the usb-B port, there were also two spaces for firewire ports cut into the back, hiding under the cover. there are also open holes in the board just begging me to solder. so i was just wondering if this would be worth pursuing, as i am occupying two full usb hubs with peripherals, so a fw device would help lessen the usb conglomerate that is my desk. thanks in advance,
drewsof

You might find that the controller board inside that drive case is also lacking the FireWire controller chip, and not just the firewire ports. The drive is available with a FireWire option at the time of purchase, and it's a simple matter to replace the USB-only board with the USB/FireWire controller board. If you engineer one case to take either, then that makes good sense at the manufacturer's level.
You can purchase a drive-less case with FireWire ports, and move the drive out of the Seagate case into that one.

An empty firewire & USB external hard drive case can be picked up for less than the price of a pizza. I'd save the mucking around and just pick one up, put your hard drive into it, and enjoy.

Back