Adding applescript support to UNIX apps

unclej

Registered
This little sentence on the apple website almost convinced me I should buy a mac:
...you can use AppleScript Studio to add AppleScript support to your Cocoa applications...

Is it possible to add applescript support to a UNIX app (gimp, abiword...) this way?

Well, you could make a wrapper app in Project Builder and give yourself applescriptable wget or something, but you can also call unix commands directly from an applescript, so that might be kinda silly.

Scripting an XWindows app like GIMP? Ooh. That's a good one. Even if it's technically possible, I sure wouldn't want to take on a project like that!

-Rob

Originally posted by unclej
This little sentence on the apple website almost convinced me I should buy a mac:
...you can use AppleScript Studio to add AppleScript support to your Cocoa applications...

Is it possible to add applescript support to a UNIX app (gimp, abiword...) this way?
I wouldn't try. You'd have to first find out a means of communicating with the application (because they don't respond to AppleEvents). If that existed, which I doubt would be case many times, you'd need to create a wrapper application that responded to AppleEvents and then passed on messages to the UNIX apps that they understand.

I don't quite understand what relevance "..you can use AppleScript Studio to add AppleScript support to your Cocoa applications..." has to do with scripting UNIX apps. Could you maybe explain?

Back