Adobe LiveMotion: DECEASED.

uoba

Re: member
Just read that Adobe have axed LiveMotion, no longer developing and distributing it (for all platforms). Support will last until March 31 2004, and on-line info support indefinitely.

Can't say I'm sad, except for the fact that MM can now relax, which is never a good thing (mind you, I don't think they where that worried anyway :rolleyes: )

Here's the MacWorld Uk article: http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_news.cfm?NewsID=7353

Funnily, can't find anything on Adobe about it! Trying to hide a failed product being cut? :p

I remember starting out using a LiveMotion 1.0 demo, one that lasted 30 days. I was able in that time to produce Flash elements for a number of sites without any problems.

Then I heard from people that Flash was better than LiveMotion, so I got the full version of Flash 5. For the life of me I couldn't believe that anyone would think that Flash was better. Simple things like an element fading in while moving in from the corner and scaling up to full size by the end of the transition was a nightmare in Flash. In LiveMotion it just worked. I ended up getting LiveMotion 1.0.2 and later 2.0. I tried Flash again (not my 5.0 version but the MX trial version) a few months ago to see if anything had changed... no, still a nightmare.

All I can say is that Macromedia really needs someone to help them with Flash. I, for one, can tell you that I won't be using anything else but LiveMotion for the next few years. Just because it stopped shipping doesn't stop it from being a better product than Flash.

Like the Mac OS, LiveMotion was something that only a small portion of the market will ever really understand. I thought LiveMotion 2.0 had enough promise to take on Flash, but Adobe never put any effort behind it.

Who knows, maybe Flash will get some help from Adobe on their timeline editor now. Macromedia's is the most convoluted interface element I've ever seen.
uoba said:
Funnily, can't find anything on Adobe about it! Try hide a failed product being cut?

Try looking on the LiveMotion product page.

I remember getting a call at midnight one night from a friend who had done an entire site in the alpha version of LiveMotion. It wasn't called LiveMotion, and I am blanking on what the Alpha name was... something "Fire" I think.

Anyway, He had no idea what to do, I convinced him to convert it all back to Flash. At that point my sources at Adobe said they might not even release it.

I was shocked, given my source's hesitation that they did. Adobe was smart to cancel development. They do have a tendency to keep projects alive well past their expiration date (like PageMaker).

But I can't say I blame them, they are just attempting to out-live the competition with those type of software packages where they are clearly #2 (or even #3).

I'm afraid I'm still of the opinion that Adobe have yet to grasp the idea of web dev apps. They are stuck between print and web (due to InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop). MM have made themselves a screen-based app only developer. Adobe have been stuck in-between, wanting to emulate MM's success in screen-based apps, and keep it's roots in printland. A hard task trying to please everyone all the time.

I've been learning Flash again. I'm a Director person and keep meaning to get into Flash but it frustrates me, especially MX. Had to do some for college and for a web job and it's really annoying me! I suppose I just need to spend more time with it. Though I might check out LiveMotion again. I remember back in the day going to an Adobe seminar about it and getting the demo. It was quite nice to use IIRC though didn't have the same functionality as Flash at the time, but I might go try out 2.0.

I remember the first beta, didn't care too much for it, I liked the After Effectish UI, but that was about it.

The best way to learn Flash is do something difficult. By the time you trouble shoot, and everything else, you will learn a good number of the features and limitations and abilities. I hesitated to learn server side scripting to integrate into flash,. but I read a great deal of info online, few online books, and within 1 weekend, i not only figured it out, I'm writing my own custom server side scripts that make flash more functional. Being bored doesn't hurt either, because that was the only way at times to get me to code as much as I have, like my mixer for example, well over 1000 lines of code.

I had been holding out hope, but to no avail. LM is dead.

I also used Livemotion right from the get go. Having been familiar with After Effects, it was a piece of cake to learn. Flash, by comparison, is a complete nightmare. I have been compiling a fairly long list of reasons why I hate Flash since I had to give in and finally use it as my main SWF editor. I can honestly say with a straight face that Flash is my most hated program of all time. I cannot express in words how much I hate this application. The simplest things are frustratingly hard. I simple fade in.out slide show in Flash takes me ten times longer than using LM or AE or a number of shareware tools. There is still no built-in text effect handling to speak of. Unbelievable. I swear to god, it's like MM made a list of the top ten things people would want to use Flash for and then purposely made those ten things as hard as possible to accomplish.

And don't even get me started on the frame-based timeline. Oh, what's that, you want to adjust the timing of the entire project a bit? No problem in Flash. Simply put a gun in your mouth, pull the trigger and problem is solved.

The only reason I use that piece of junk application is because the end results can be amazing and are only doable by using Flash. For the record, I know what I'm doing in Flash (www.mindbend.biz) and I still hate it. I only point that out so it doesn't sound like I'm ranting with no perspective.

For a site done completely in LiveMotion, see www.timrichard.com. Don't beat me up too much, we had a small budget. (crap, it's down right now, nevermind for now).

In summary. I hate Flash and you should too.

--------

Ad for Adobe and web development. I agree with uoba completely. Adobe should give up on web ASAP. They lost SVG. They lost whatever their 3D technology was. Livemotion is dead. GoLive sucks compared to Dreamweaver (and I used GL for years). Adobe print apps are superior, they should really focus on that and quit wasting our time on the web stuff. I give them credit for putting up a good fight. You don't just want to give it away to MM, but it's over. Adobe lost.

---------

However, MM might be crapping their pants about now with Microsoft's announcements of Avalon/Sparkle vector-based development. (google: microsoft avalon sparkle) I don't know much about it, and I hope somebody starts another thread on it, because it is potentially very scary. In short, imagine a few years down the line when M$ bullies out MM and forces non-Longhorn OSes to basically be unusable for web evelopment or even web viewing. I'm not kidding (worst case scenario).

LiveMotion was an app that showed promise. Adobe had a good chance to capture the video "switcher" market. Basically, LiveMotion was aimed at After Effects users who wanted to get in to Flash development, but didn't want to take the time to learn the interface of Flash.

The problem is LiveMotion 1.0 couldn't compare feature wise to Flash 5, which was it's competitor at the time. When LiveMotion 2.0 was released, Adobe improved the main weaknesses of the app, namely, it's lack of serious scripting. However, under OS X, it is a snail. Trying to preview your animation within the application is a joke. On Windows, it runs much better. There were several projects that I wanted to produce in LM2, but ended up going forward in Flash because of LM2's horribly bad performance.

Say what you want, but Flash is a great application. it has a quirky interface, but it works quite well once learned. If you are coming from an After Effects background, you will have a harder time with Flash (I know I did) than if it's your first exposure to timeline based animation.

Still, it's sad to see an application that held so much promise get killed off. Look at the list of applications Adobe has killed over the last couple of years. Some deservedly so, others not.

LiveMotion
Adobe Type Manager Deluxe
PhotoDeluxe
PageMaker (it's been declared dead several times, but Adobe keeps wringing updates out of it)
FrameMaker
Premiere (Mac version only)
Streamline
PageMill (sad, considering we could really use a sub $100 WYSIWYG HTML editor on OS X)
Dimensions

The sad part is, these apps all showed great promise. Some had reached a pinnacle (ATM Deluxe), others were close (PageMill, LiveMotion), others were basic but filled a need (Streamline).

I wish Adobe would have sold these off instead of killing them. Another smaller company could easily turn any of these apps in to a success....

...searching for info on avalon/sparkle

Yea, GoLive is bad, but i still use it, I can do everything and some, plus make crazy interactive Quicktime movies with it and LiveStage. Flash was a bit different to learn at first, but like I said, once you learn all the ins and outs, well a majority, its simple from there. I'm having a hard time getting back into Director. just got a new project requiring Director work, and to my surprise, I actually still remember quite a bit of scripting for Lingo, no pre-made behaviors for me.

mindbend said:
And don't even get me started on the frame-based timeline. Oh, what's that, you want to adjust the timing of the entire project a bit? No problem in Flash. Simply put a gun in your mouth, pull the trigger and problem is solved.

LOL

That has to be the funniest thing I've read in weeks!

<RacerX wipes tears from his eyes>

Thank you for that!

Softpress has a sub $100 webpage app (Freeway Express). You can't actually edit the HTML, but it does do a good job of making webpages easily (and fast). You can check it out at <http://www.softimage.com>

Joshua

RacerX said:
Mindbend said:
LOL

That has to be the funniest thing I've read in weeks!

<RacerX wipes tears from his eyes>

Thank you for that!
Definitely... I'd say that's on par with "Now I have no more grandma. Thank you, Linux." Hehe.

I agree, Adobe should stop killing these projects and simply sell them to the highest bidder. There are plenty of talented software developers out there not working for a big production firm, and if they could get their hands on some of that code they could work wonders to behold.

I remember the standard ATm, and i did have ATM deluxe, but I can't remember what it did. I know the free one was for font smoothing, and the other, font management? I couldn't have bee away from 9 that long... I know i never reinstalled ATM Deluxe after i lost my 9 partition last December, I figured i'd be working in X anyway.

Yep, ATM Deluxe was the best Font Management software IMO. With Suitcase now a few years developed after ATM Deluxe, it still hasn't got near its functionality.

Back