Adobe LiveMotion: DECEASED.

ATM Deluxe was the best font management package out there. Why Adobe decided to kill it off completely is beyond me. I can understand not porting it to OS X (well, not really, but I could see their reasoning), but the Windows version was still head and shoulders above anything else available for that platform.

Macromedia has killed off quite a few good Mac progams over the last couple of years themselves. Fontgrapher and SoundEdit 16 both are still in use by lots of Mac users, because there still is no better replacement for them.

MM are still selling Fontographer! So it's not dead (well, officially, and actually, based on it's vast user-base)... SoundEdit was great wasn't it? I loved that app as well.

Hey, maybe us macosx.com regulars should pool some dinheiro together and buy the rights to all these apps?

:)

afaik, LiveMotion never had the wide scripting support that Flash had/has. For a 'Flasher', LiveMotion was never a real competition.

However, for basic animation stuff, it was quite okay and had an interface one could actually grasp (contrary to Flash). ;-)

Well: I'm still waiting for the ONE good graphical web development application. Until then, I'm staying with BBEdit & Photoshop. ;-)

fryke said:
afaik, LiveMotion never had the wide scripting support that Flash had/has. For a 'Flasher', LiveMotion was never a real competition.

However, for basic animation stuff, it was quite okay and had an interface one could actually grasp (contrary to Flash). ;-)

Well: I'm still waiting for the ONE good graphical web development application. Until then, I'm staying with BBEdit & Photoshop. ;-)

LM 1.0 never did. LM 2.0 had a decent scripting engine that was based on Javascript. It was much simpler to learn than ActionScript.

While Fontgrapher may still be sold, it is a dead product. Macromedia has informed people that development has ceased on it. The only difference is Macromedia hasn't pulled the product off the shelves like Adobe has with LiveMotion.

SoundEdit was a great little sound editor. However, under OS X, there are several that do everything I needed SE16 to do. Amadeus is pretty good for the price, as is Spark ME, which is a great freeware app.

As for ATM Deluxe, there still is no equivelent. Suitcase X1 under OS X is a big improvement over Suitcase X, but it's auto activation still isn't nearly as good as ATMDeluxe's was 6 years ago.

I really had high hopes for FontBook, but Apple clearly wants something that does the bare minimum and does not compete with the tools out there now. This stinks because the tools out there now stink....

uoba said:
Hey, maybe us macosx.com regulars should pool some dinheiro together and buy the rights to all these apps?
And how much of this is coming out of your pocket? ;)

Hey, I'd dole out $100 to "own" some of my apps. I wonder how much some of these companies would sell some of these dead products for?

arden said:
And how much of this is coming out of your pocket? ;)

Er... maybe not a good idea then... you lot could buy the stock, and I could personally oversee things :confused: ;) and when things pickup, we can talk about my share options ;)

As for Fontographer being dead, as you say Serpicolugnut, MM have all but killed it, but I know the userbase is huge (there is one Fontographer book which is like gold-dust out there, out of print). It's the only app that's stopping my friend from leaving OS9 (doesn't seem to work in Classic).

We purchased TypeTool (cut down Fontlab), and I personally think it's as good as (if not better), just haven't had time to look at it.

Back on topic :rolleyes: isn't there something called Swift or Swish which is a cut down Flash type of app?

Swish started life as a Flash "addon" app. It basically did text effects. But it quickly expanded in to a full featured authoring app. It can do much of what you can do in Flash, at a fraction of the price.

it's only real caveat - it's Windows only with almost no hope of ever being ported to the Mac...

Back