ADSL broadband possible on OS9?

myu

Registered
Hi.
I am using iMac DV with OS9.2.2,
and I just applied to connect to ADSL because the tech support guy from my ISP said it would work, but not completely assured it WILL work.

Can anyone please tell me if my poor old iMac can connect on ADSL?

Thanks.

Just got into a bit of panic after looking at Apple support site and finding no articles on the subject and thought maybe the tech guy at ISP didn't know much about these things.....

Cheers

Depends on your amount of SDRAM, I think.
I had a G3 on Os9, 128 MB RAM, but Internet behaviour (ADSL) was particularly slow on that one. So I wouldn't recommend it if that's the machine you have.
It probably works good with 1028 MB, but that's just a guess...anyone else?

what the difference between adsl and dsl? i had my quadra 800 surfing just fine on a dsl connection.

DSL is the generic term for the type of WAN technology. Any letter before that describes a specific version of DSL (ADSL=Asymmetric DSL, SDSL=Symmetric DSL, HDSL=High bit-rate DSL, etc.)

This site has more information on xDSL (that "x" is a variable for the various DSL types out there).

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/x/xDSL.html

citytrip said:
Depends on your amount of SDRAM, I think.
I had a G3 on Os9, 128 MB RAM, but Internet behaviour (ADSL) was particularly slow on that one. So I wouldn't recommend it if that's the machine you have.
It probably works good with 1028 MB, but that's just a guess...anyone else?
The amount of RAM in your system will not impact the speed of a DSL line. Of course, applications run slower on slower computers and faster on faster computers, so your surfing experience may suffer (Internet Explorer definitely runs faster and more responsive on a faster computer, for example), but the download speed and upload speed should be on par with a faster computer. If your DSL connection is a 3Mbit connection, you should see speeds between ~150kbps and ~350kbps, usually right around 300, no matter what computer you're using.

DSL rates are sloooooooow compared to the amount of data that the poor old iMac is capable of transferring via ethernet or through the internal hard drive bus. It will be more than capable of the so-called "high speed" DSL.

Thanks everyone for input-!!
Answering my own question: yes, yay yay! ADSL is working on G3 iMac DV with OS9.2.2, and it is a LOT faster than when I had dial-up connection (,,of course,,).
But I might need more RAM.. I only have what it came with, which is 128MB. Internet Explorer is slow, and shuts down.
In this case, does it need more hard drive memory or RAM?

Both can help:

Be sure to turn on Virtual Memory, and keep 2 GB free if you can.
I had similar problems, but this solved it.

Hope it works for you.

Back