Advice needed... Dynamic sites with GoLive??

wicky

play thing
I'm a designer (from a print background), and I've been putting sites together for a couple of years now using GoLive (v.6, but just about to get CS). It's all pretty straight forward stuff, concentrating more on the look and feel, than the bells and whistles. I've developed enough knowledge to be able to hack the code a bit, add nicked bits of javascript, etc. (but I'm definately not a programmer)

So what next?

I really want to be able to create and link to a database(s), include a search function with multiple fields, and ideally I'd like to be able to develop a simple content management system (to keep maintanence work to a minimum).

I've read a bit about it, and it seems that PHP and MySQL are the way forward..... but I still can't quite get my head 'round it. How do I create PHP pages in GoLive, or is that a non-starter?

Can anybody point me in the right direction or explain in simple terms what my next move should be. I quite like using GoLive, so how do I introduce dynamic content?

A beginner's guide to XML would also be appreciated.... basically anything that helps me avoid doing the same job twice. Is XML the right thing for that?

Thanx

Your first port of call should be www.w3schools.com (for anything... PHP, XML, MySQL). There tutorials are fantastic and free.

PHP in GoLive is achievable, easier in DWMX. It may be beneficial to do a bit by hand first though, to understand it's concepts. Also, the SAMS Teach Yourself PHP in 24hrs is a very good book.

And, make sure you've PHP installed on your system!

cool, and thanks..... any advice on installing php on my system?

a friend (using a PC) told me to install "triad" (PHP, MySQL... and something else). is there a (free) all-in-one solution for making my computer ready for the job?

Back