Airport/Webserver help please

buc99

Don't Tread on Me!
I am using an airport connection to the internet. My ISP assigns my IP through DHCP. I use the airport as router that uses DHCP and NAT to share this IP locally between 2 Macs. I have a hosting service that uses a unix script to update the IP assigned to my airport base station by my ISP. This used to be the IP assigned to the mac that is doing the web serving before I installed the airport. How do i set up the port mapping to the IP of the webserver that airport assigns dynamically trough dhcp and nat? All of the documentation says you have to assign an IP to this machine manually. How do you do this if you are sharing a dynamic address with 2 macs through dhcp and nat? Any ideas?

Thanks,:)
SA

Originally posted by buc99
How do i set up the port mapping to the IP of the webserver that airport assigns dynamically trough dhcp and nat? All of the documentation says you have to assign an IP to this machine manually. How do you do this if you are sharing a dynamic address with 2 macs through dhcp and nat? Any ideas?

Check your Airport Admin config for the range of addresses which the Base Station is handing out via DHCP (e.g., mine is 1-50 on network 10.0.1). Change your Mac server's network config to a manually-assigned IP address which is not in this range (but is on the same network). For my Base Station, an address like 10.0.1.120 would be an example.

Now you'll have a fixed (local) IP address you can use to forward to from your Base Station.

Please bare with my networking ignorance.

I set the network preferences of the web server manually to an IP outside the range of IP's divied out by the airport's DHCP router. Basically, 10.0.1.210. Yet, the machine won't connect to the internet. The only time it does connect to the internet is when I use DHCP only. I tried setting it manually and manually using the DHCP router. Is there something else I need to do? Also what do they mean by "public port" and "private port"? The port for webserving is 80 or 8080, is this the public port? And do I use the same port for private or do I need to designate an unused port for this? Maybe this is why I can't connect to the internet manually?

Thanks in advance, and again I apologize if my questions sound too basic,:)

Thanks,
SA

Originally posted by buc99
[...] Yet, the machine won't connect to the internet. The only time it does connect to the internet is when I use DHCP only.

Sorry, I didn't mention the other manual configuration settings needed: you will need to make sure that your 'router' address (that's your Base Station's IP address, probably 10.0.1.1) and 'domain name server' address are entered in the manual configuration. Subnet mask, too (255.255.255.0).

When I just changed the popup from DHCP to Manual in my Network TCP/IP settings, it left the router address that had been set by DHCP, so I didn't have to enter it. However, the Domain Name Server box was empty, so I did have to enter that one. You should set it to your ISP's name server IP address, not a name. If you know the name but not the IP address, you can type 'nslookup <the name>' in the Terminal window when connected via DHCP and it will give you the IP address.

There should be no need to reboot for any of this, OS X is pretty good about that. Just click the button to 'Apply' your settings, and you can even leave the System Prefs window open while tinkering.

Back