Airport won't auto-connect after 10.4.8 upgrade

lithe951

Registered
Seems like another twist on a recurring problem. I have a MacBook Pro and a Linksys wireless router set to WPA. With 10.4.7 I had no problems, the wireless connection would automatically connect as soon as I booted the Mac. This weekend I upgraded to 10.4.8 (along with 9 other packages) and now it won't auto connect any more.

I have my system preferences set to join "Preferred Networks" and my home network is listed below. Is there a was to tell it to join a specific network?

Now I have to click with wireless menu and select "Other" because my home network isn't found in the menu. Then I enter the network name, choose WPA Personal and then enter the long ugly password. Then it's perfect and I'm online.

Is there a preference file I should delete, a setting I should change? Thanks.

Mark

Anyone have a clue about this? I still have not been able to find a fix. Clearing preferences doesn't do anything, saving a network apparently doesn't do anything...

Anyone have a clue about this? I still have not been able to find a fix. Clearing preferences doesn't do anything, saving a network apparently doesn't do anything...

I have a similar problem using a D-Link router, with an Intel iMac and an iMac G5, both on 10.4.8. Could RFI have anything to do with it? We have a 2.4 GHz cordless phone with three handsets in the house, but the problem seems unrelated to whether the phones are or have been in use.

There's an option in airport network preferences to connect to preferred networks automatically; try adding it to the list.

I'm running 10.4.8 on a 17" desktop Duo, and I have the same problem. It's not a big thing, but it is annoying. There is a workaround, but it is more trouble than it's worth: Create a second account on the machine, then log in each time. That actually works, but it's easier just to open it manually. I just downloaded the firmware update with high hopes, but no dice. I've visited Apple support, and they have nothing to offer.

There's an option in airport network preferences to connect to preferred networks automatically; try adding it to the list.

My problem (see earlier) is almost completely solved. Airport almost always connects automatically. Maybe it was obvious to everyone else, but I had to stumble on the solution, which was to, in System Preferences > Network > Airport, choose "By default join: Preferred networks", THEN click on the + sign below the "Network Name" box and enter the name of my network and its security level. That pretty much solved the problem for me.

Good luck...

Fixed! Two things: One, replaced static IP address with dynamic--which cleared up all sorts of problems. Two, did firmware upgrade on wireless router. Can't say why either of these worked, but they did.

Back