Alias Sketchbook released for OSX!

JeffCGD

Registered
For those who may not have heard of Alias Sketchbook, it is the (previously Windows Only) graphics tablet or tablet PC based sketching/painting/illustrating program from the makers of the magnificent software Maya.

To quote the site (and this isn't hyperbole either):
"Award-winning Alias® SketchBook™ Pro is a nimble, high quality paint and drawing tool application designed specifically for use with Tablet PCs and digitized tablets. It features an artist-friendly, gesture-based user interface built around Alias’ patented Marking Menu™ technology. With a flick of the stylus you can access any of the software’s best-of-class tools: fast, reactive pencils, markers and brushes, pen-driven layers; background templates; a 30-brushstroke "undo/redo" option, and a unique pan/zoom tool."

Already this is in use by well-known artists such as Gabe at Penny Arcade (www.penny-arcade.com), who rave about it's ease of use, and sketchbooks' astounding ability to replicate dozens of mediums, including pencil, charcoal, paints etc. Gabe himself has been quoted as saying that going BACK to pencil and paper after using Sketchbook "felt weird [and somehow wrong]".

For anyone that suspects I am an employee of Alias, I am not. I'm simply an avid fan of their superb software (I also have trained on Maya - another of Alias' works of software art), and I am one of the many Mac OSX fans that wrote to Alias and requested they port Sketchbook to our platform.

Here is a link to Alias' page WITH a demo version available:
http://www.alias.com/eng/products-services/sketchbook_pro/welcome_mac_users.shtml

Enjoy people :)

Sketchbook isn't so much a painter competitor, as it is a pre-visualizer, and it's strength lies in the digitizing of the sketching process. It has been compared to Painter with regards to it's painting tools, where apparently it is not as developed as painter. However, I understand it is THE BOMB when it comes to sketching, markers, and synthesizing the hand drawing process. It iis in a league of it's own in terms of interface (the patented Alias marking menus), and is designed from the ground up to be used on a Tablet PC (using a standard pressure sensitive tablet is only a 'second best' alternative). Sadly Apple has no tablet PC's as yet, as it is no doubt waiting to learn what foibles to avoid as the generation 1 and 2 PC tablets develop.

If only the people who developed openCanvas would take the lead from Alias and release their package on OSX, I'd be set.

I think I'm going to give this program a look-in. Sadly it doesn't seem to save event files like openCanvas does.

But thank you for bringing this to my attention.

I'm trying the 2 week demo, and it's a bit of a mixed bag:
The interface is great, maximizing the drawing space and reducing clutter.
Even on one monitor, it feels relaxed and intuitive. The 'flicking' to tools, help hints, and 'sketching' the names of layers are nice touches. The airbrush lays down very smoothly, and doesn't hang up your Mac when spraying a large swath the way Painter and Photoshop tend to; the marker tool is fairly realistic as well. However, considering its price,this software is far too limiting. There should be included perspective grids, templates for storyboarding, and rudimentary text tools. Also lacking are any texture effects, either for the digital surface that you're drawing on, or for the brushes themselves. For $80, it might be notable, but this price tag is too high...

But if they keep adding to it, it may end up being a powerful tool...

Back