All programs crashing

JPigford

I'm awesome...seriously..
Almost every single program I attempt to run is crashing. I've had Tiger since the day it was released and it's been fine until the past day or 2. All adobe products crash after being launched for about 10 seconds. The Office 2004 products lock up every 10 minutes or so. And almost every other app on my computer is crashing. Even some of Apple's own apps (Disk Utility, iTunes, and iCal to be specific) crash after being open for only a few minutes. I've checked/repaired permissions countless times. This is ridiculous.

Dual 2GHz PowerMac G5
3.5GB RAM
OS X 10.4

Well, I would suggest deleting the prefrence files for those applications. If that doesnt work, the only thing I know to do is to reinstall the OS. :(

JPigford said:
Almost every single program I attempt to run is crashing.

I would try the maintenance/troubleshooting mentioned below. If doing so does not help, then I would do an erase and install or an archive and install/preserve user and network settings.

1. Empty the trash, and clear all browser caches;
2. Repair disk and repair permissions (I know you have repaired permissions) (go here);
3. Run the 3 periodic maintenance (cron) scripts (see above link);
4. Update the prebinding (see above link);
4. Use a program, such as Cocktail, to clear the system- and user-cache files; and
5. Use a program, such as Font Finagler or DeepSix, to purge font-cache files.
6. Use Preferential Treatment to deal with bad preference files.

I am not sure to what extent the apps mentioned above are compatible with Tiger--except that the latest version of Cocktail is compatible.

Did you perform an upgrade or a full install? I normally just do a full install as I don't trust upgrades.

i had a similar problem to this after i finally got tiger installed and working, windows would just disappear and apps would crash after a number of seconds. the problem (for me anyway) has turned out to be a bad hard drive - i luckily had another drive i could install basic tiger too and that has been running for a full 24 hours now with no problems whatsoever, the machine has also sped up tremendously too.

d-sine.

I gave some suggestions above. Whether you want to do them all or not, you might want to try Preferential Treatment. I tried the newest version, and it runs fine on my Tiger. As I recall, its site says it is Tiger ready.

MacFreak said:
You have 3.5 GB? Your signture said 2.5 GB. Huh? I am confused.
Yeah, haven't gotten around to updating it...but yes, I do have 3.5GB of RAM.

Back