Annoying thing with iMac swivel neck

Hypernate

McGeek
hehehe, when I print, the movement of the printer makes the screen jump up and down. it's actually quite funny!

I do wonder though a) how much it will affect the 'grip' on the stalk, and b) how long the 'grip' with remain firm, even without the printer...

You need to place the printer on some sort of vibration absorbing pad. When I worked in a mechanical eng lab there was something called isomode padding. Probably would be over kill for this, but something similar would work.

Calliex

As for the point about wearing out the "grip" in your iMacs swivel neck, I remember reading somewhere that they designed the iMac's neck precisely so it wouldn't wear out from ongoing and frequent swivelling.

How did they work it so that when the neck is 90 degree angle from the base, the screen can be 90 degrees to the neck, but when the neck is 180 degrees from the base the screen can only be about 30 degrees? A cable? it's not important, but it interest me :p

First penny: put your printer on another table :)

Second penny: the usual way swivel devices like that are designed is with cables/springs (like in an old workshop swivel light). That's how you can tilt the NECK down, but allow the screen to remain at the same inclination.

Just look at a spring-loaded work light sometime, it's probably the same principle.

Back