Another M$ ERROR!

bkaron

Yep, That's Me!
I try very hard not to use M$ software for many reasions, this being one of them. How come all the sudden I go to open a Windows Media file I get this message (see attachment). Its not fair :( Is there a program that I can use to convert the file type to a QT file type :confused:

Oh, and I tried to use MPlayer and VLC to open the files. In VLC I got this message:

access_file: file /Users/bkaron/Movies/Funny & WOW Clips/Funny/Man Show Boy "Beer".wmv is empty, aborting
main: no suitable access module for `/:///Users/bkaron/Movies/Funny & WOW Clips/Funny/Man Show Boy "Beer".wmv'​

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 36
Well, the error message says the file is actually empty. Is it a file I can download and try myself? Is it a file you've successfully tried on a Windows machine?

Now QT is doing it :mad: How does a file just erase itself :confused:

Oh, This started to hapen after I backed up all my data. Could that have somthing to do with it?

No no no thats not it, because I wached the clips after the back up. How and why did this happen :confused:

Ok, now I'm going through ALL my movies and they are all empty :( Years and years of downloads just gone, and this is not the 1st time they were backed up :mad:

Are you using a program for your backups? If so, what is it (don't want to use it).

You moved your movies to the other drive, rather than using the duplicate command. Go to your backup and see if the movies are there.

duplicate command? Whats that? and, is there a program I can use that can convert WMP files to QT files?

ctrl+click on the file, then select duplicate... sorry, but can't help you for converting the file, don't know any software..

Are the movie files still the same size as they were before you moved them to the FireWire drive?

Also, have you tried restarting your machine, or creating a new user account and tried playing the movies in the new user account?

First of all... Let's wrap this up. This is about losing data on a FW drive, then. Nothing fancy with strange codecs etc. *I*'d say: The harddrive's dying. Try to repair it using Apple's Disk Utility.

Also, if you've backed them up by Finder (i.e. you've copied the files) then you still have the originals. Unless you rather mean 'archived', i.e. you moved them from your internal harddrive to an external FW drive?

What about other file types? Is it just the movies or also text files etc.? Can you try to copy something else to that particular harddrive? And yes, do test what happens after restarting or just reconnecting the drive... But first I'd really repair the disk using Apple's Disk Utility (and nothing else at first...).

Back