Any one else having a problem with WeatherPop?

macidiot

Registered
No matter what city I select I get "Could not retrive weather & Temp for this city" when I try to update weatherpop. It never displays any info, just question marks... this started friday, any one else having this problem?

I had that problem. I deleted the application, then searched for the preferences:
com.glu.WeatherPop.plist
com.glu.WeatherPopSetup.plist
com.glu.WeatherPopWrapper.plist

and deleted them. I logged out and in and then reinstalled the app. It's been fine ever since...

Originally posted by Javintosh
I had that problem. I deleted the application, then searched for the preferences:
com.glu.WeatherPop.plist
com.glu.WeatherPopSetup.plist
com.glu.WeatherPopWrapper.plist

and deleted them. I logged out and in and then reinstalled the app. It's been fine ever since...

I did this, I could only find the com.glu.WeaterPop.plist, but it still isn't working, so I'll wait till sept 3rd, and see how things are working... THANKS!

The reason it's not working is because WeatherPop get it's weather info from Yahoo! weather. Yahoo will every once in a while change their weather pages a little bit (in the HTML source) so this will then mess up WeatherPop. I know this because I'm developing an app that downloads weather from yahoo weather and I have to parse through the HTML content.

http://www.kainjow.com/podweather.html

Originally posted by kainjow
The reason it's not working is because WeatherPop get it's weather info from Yahoo! weather. Yahoo will every once in a while change their weather pages a little bit (in the HTML source) so this will then mess up WeatherPop. I know this because I'm developing an app that downloads weather from yahoo weather and I have to parse through the HTML content.

http://www.kainjow.com/podweather.html

I thought it accessed an XML file at Yahoo! and used that, not the HTML page?

Whatever, I can wait until tomorrow too. I love WP. I bought the Advanced version and was sad it was broken until I saw the message.

I'm pretty sure it uses normal HTML, but I could be wrong. Where did you hear about the XML part from?

I just assumed. Many data apps like that that access web sites use XML to get their info. I don't know if they do or not, but it would make sense.

Well, I can prove that it uses Yahoo: Control-click on WeatherPop, select Package Contents, go to /Contents/Resources/ then control-click WeatherPop.menu, go to /Contents/Resources/ then control-click, on WeatherPop Setup, select Package Contents, then go to Contents/Resources/weather.pl. Weather.pl is the script that retrieves the data from Yahoo.

So the whole path is:

WeatherPop.app/Contents/Resources/WeatherPop.menu/Contents/Resources/WeatherPop Setup/Contents/Resources/weather.pl

There ya go: proof :D

Originally posted by kainjow
Well, I can prove that it uses Yahoo: Control-click on WeatherPop, select Package Contents, go to /Contents/Resources/ then control-click WeatherPop.menu, go to /Contents/Resources/ then control-click, on WeatherPop Setup, select Package Contents, then go to Contents/Resources/weather.pl. Weather.pl is the script that retrieves the data from Yahoo.

So the whole path is:

WeatherPop.app/Contents/Resources/WeatherPop.menu/Contents/Resources/WeatherPop Setup/Contents/Resources/weather.pl

There ya go: proof :D

I NEVER SAID it didn't use Yahoo!. I KNOW it uses Yahoo!

And I found the code it uses to grab the data. Seems it does use HTML.
Code:
if ($confHash{'action'} eq 'id') {
	my $cityId = $confHash{'city_id'};
	my $units = $confHash{'units'};

$link = "http://weather.yahoo.com/forecast/" . $cityId . "_" . $units . ".html";
	&httpGet(\%confHash, $link, \$header, \$data);
	my %hash;
	&parseCityPage(\$data, \%hash);

#	foreach my $k (keys %hash) {
#		print "[$k] -> [$hash{$k}]\n";
#	}

$plistData = &outputHashAsPlist(\%hash);
}

I wonder what the commented code does?

Anyway, it's clear it does use HTML not XML. Now I can rest easy knowing I was wrong. :D ;)

Oh, and haha.. I accidentally double-clicked the .menu file and it opened in Jaguar fine. If it works, I'm gonna use it instead of the .app version. Looks nicer.

Feels good to have weather in my Menubar again. :)

Thanks for letting us know about 1.5, I would prolly still be using 1.4 waiting for it to magically start working again.

As best I can tell (and my Perl is so-so) the commented code returns all the hash-pairs as a list. This would be handy in testing just to see what values you have stored.

Originally posted by symphonix
As best I can tell (and my Perl is so-so) the commented code returns all the hash-pairs as a list. This would be handy in testing just to see what values you have stored.
Ah.. you mean like Debugging code? Isn't that what supposedly makes OS X slow? ;) ;) :D :p :rolleyes: :cool:

Back