Any way to supress startup sound?

cybowolf

Registered
Hi! I was wondering if anyone knows a way to prevent the sound that plays when I first press the power button to turn on my Mac. I hate going into meetings, and then having my Mac make that sound when I turn it on. I am running Jaguar on a 12-inch PowerBook.

Any assistance would be most appreciated!

-cybowolf

Just put it in sleep mode. It'll boot faster and quicker (check the other current thread on letting it sleep for more info). It's especially handy since all you have to do is close the 'Book and it'll go to sleep. Plus you have the nice glowing Apple to further amaze your co-workers.

Article #106186 on the apple support site:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TOPIC
Muting the system volume does not silence the startup sound (or "chime").
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DISCUSSION
Symptom
After setting system volume to mute, you still hear the startup sound.
Products affected
Mac OS X 10.0
Solution
A future update to Mac OS X may permit the startup sound to be muted along with the system volume.

Looks like we'll have to wait...

Originally posted by abyard
Article #106186 on the apple support site:
TOPIC
Muting the system volume does not silence the startup sound (or "chime").
DISCUSSION
Symptom
After setting system volume to mute, you still hear the startup sound.
Products affected
Mac OS X 10.0
Solution
A future update to Mac OS X may permit the startup sound to be muted along with the system volume.

Looks like we'll have to wait...

Remember that's 10.0, I think it actually works now. Those PowerBooks have 10.2.4 preinstalled.
But, as Randman says, just put it in sleep mode instead of shutting it down - it automatically goes to sleep when you close the lid and automatically wakes up again when you open it, having instant access to the computer :)
For increased security, you can of course also log out before putting it too sleep.
I only reboot my Mac when I've installed system updates :)

Soz ksv, didn't see the 10.0 bit.

I'll try it on my PB when I get home.

I like TommyWillB's idea, I'll have to spray the plug a funky colour and tell everyone I've got the latest add-on... the iMute :)

I have not tested this, but I believe you can hold "F3" down during restart and the machine will not chime.

Your system sound could theoretically be on and by holding down the F3 key you temporarily disable sound.

I seem to remember using this in meetings all the time. I had to have sound on, for the presentation, but I didn't want to blow out the speakers when I started up the laptop.

Wow, the F3 thing worked liked a charm! Thats exactly what I needed!!! Thanks to everyone for their great suggestions!

-cybowolf

Back