anyone a bit disapointed with rendezvous?

WeeZer51402

Registered
for some reason i thought apple would build off of what they had for rendezvous in jaguar, with more configurability and whatnot,i even like the old connect to server dialog better and not to mention it takes like a year to connect to a server but other than that i gotta say i love it the user interface is awesome, hey is anyone else having a problem with fast user switching(not getting that cool 3D cube effect)

Fast User Switching doesn't give me the cube effect if I have my resolution set above 1280 X 1024 (perhaps a limitation of my GeForce 4 MX?).
Try 1280 X 1024 and see if that works. Also keep in mind that Panther is still in development, save final judgment for the Gold Master.

Fast User Switching, to get the cube effect, needs QuartzExtreme. As far as networking goes, you need to remember that this is still a beta, and they are getting the bugs worked out. I think Rendezvous works great with iChat and other apps, and I'm attributing my network problems to debug code in the Finder and network services.

Do I now? Ok then, hope this will do :D:
lg_cocacola.jpg

perhaps thats the problem with the fast user switching, my machine doesnt support quartz extreme, im running a imac dv se 500 i think i need to upgrade soon

Even w/o QX, Fast User Switching will work. Turn it on in the Accounts PrefPane > Login Options settings. It just fades to blue instead of cubing it.

The cube effect takes a lot of graphics power, so you need to do it with QE at a relatively low resolution. Even at 1600x1200, powerful computers have a hard time with the cube effect, so you see the fade instead. Consider it, though: all those pixels that the system has to calculate in a 3D space, where they will be at the next refresh, and how they will be transformed... of course it's taxing on the system! It's like suddenly your OS turned into UT2K3, but just briefly.

to get the thread back on topic (discuss FUS in _its_ thread...) rendezvous will quite certainly become more important over time. however, of COURSE there are no configuration options, as rendezvous is based on a technology called zeroconf... it's a service in the background that will allow applications (such as the Finder) to see other networking devices without configuration. more and more printers are supporting it, and Apple is supporting it very well in Panther. share your printer and look for printers with another mac running Panther in your network. it'll automagically find it. that's rendezvous.

ah i just cant get over this automation thing, its nice but i need control, and you do have a point about the zeroconf but maybe apple could throw some options out there like in OS 9 like creating AFP shares with the get info dialog, I dont know anything, i like prefrences the OS seems too plain with out them, I say the more the better!

fryke said:
to get the thread back on topic (discuss FUS in _its_ thread...) rendezvous will quite certainly become more important over time. however, of COURSE there are no configuration options, as rendezvous is based on a technology called zeroconf... it's a service in the background that will allow applications (such as the Finder) to see other networking devices without configuration. more and more printers are supporting it, and Apple is supporting it very well in Panther. share your printer and look for printers with another mac running Panther in your network. it'll automagically find it. that's rendezvous.

How does one use Rendezvous? I cannot even find it on my powerbook which is running Jaguar.

i like rendezvous. when im in the same network with ppl with other macs that is .. faster intranet, good for sharing applications, files etc etc. :)

fast user switch .. fine, as well. i can use the g5 with _my_ account without anyone having to log off with their. i'll test how good that really works once i'll get to play with the garageband .. ;)

My brother (currently using a HP WinXP laptop) couldn't believe his eyes when my powerbook found,configured and printed to my shared printer across a network. No user configuration, nothing to do but click print and collect the essay/letter/lesson plans! Thats the way computers should work and Apple seem to excel in bringing complicated technology to the masses

Back