"AOL's loss is biggest ever. Ted Turner quits after disclosure of giant decline"

edX

mac shaman
This morning's headlines in the SF Chronicle.

All told, the firm's annual loss of $98.7 billion easily surpasses the national budgets of nations such as Australia, Russia and Saudi Arabia.

please don't ever try to tell me that their is nothing that individuals can do to stop corporate power. every individual dollar counts. now wouldn't it be great if we read a similar headline with m$ in it? :D

I would like to know how an internet service provider can loose $98.7 billion. If I recall correctly, AOL's network runs on Linux, thereby reducing the costs of operating system licensing fees to UNIX or M$.

well, if your ISP business model is based on popup ads and spam, i can see them losing $100 billion quite easily. :D

It must be all the money they finally spent on upgrading their mac software. :p

You all must remember that AOL isn't just aol anymore, but also AOL Time Warner which includes Time, Fortune, HBO, Warner Brothers music and film, CNN, TBS, the Atlanta Braves baseball team, along with numerous others.

This company is a whale above all others, a beached whale at that.

Perhaps Ted knows something the rest of us don't. Just perhaps he's getting out while the getting is good and trying to take his prized ventures the Atlanta Braves and CNN with him before the whole company implodes upon itself.

I'm not trying to say they are bigger than MS. I just want you all to realize what brands would be effected if the company fell apart. I also want to note that what many of you have already pointed to, the AOL Online unit's money making strategies, may end up being the proverbial Achilles Heel of the entire company.

Companies that large typically don't fall apart unless there is SERIOUS corruption at the upper management and accounting levels (deja vu with Worldcom and Enron); they usually file for some kind of bancruptcy protection to give the company time to work its way out of its woes.

Originally posted by edX
This morning's headlines in the SF Chronicle.

please don't ever try to tell me that their is nothing that individuals can do to stop corporate power. every individual dollar counts. now wouldn't it be great if we read a similar headline with m$ in it? :D

Question: How is it possible to spend $100B in one year ? Or is it a typo and it was (only) $100M ?

Answer: They didn't loose that amount of money ! That's just on paper: some (very smart and professional) analysts thought AOL-Time Warner had a value of so many $100B... and the analysis was not so solid. Now they realize it, and they say AOL-TW looses value...

their stock lost the equivalent of roughly $100 billion.

well that, and they bought the planet Mars! :D

Back