Aperture Review

shoot, i paid about $300 for a photoshop plug-in for green/blue screen ... i must be an unreasonable person, u think?

My brother bought me a copy of Aperture as a late Christmas present!! Been trying it out for a few hours today. Very different from CS2. Feels like there is less control over the images. No curves, only sliders. Crop sizes are limited, no metric system, no way to change (or find out) the image/crop resolution. I'm assuming it's 300dpi but not sure. Raw conversion is not on a par with ACR but low to mid ISO results seem good. Early days yet but the workflow is a huge improvement over Photoshop. Browsing is quick and the image comparison tool is probably the best kept secret. Press return with an image selected and the display immediately splits in two, displaying selected photo on the left and the next image on the right. You can select images for comparison using arrow keys. There is a bug in the export options. Exporting to tiff means that you lose the file's metadata, it's the same if you export to Photoshop and back to Aperture. Print otput still feels a little inflexible. Borderless printing (A4) relies on upscaling an 11 x 8.5 inch crop whereas Photoshop can custom crop an image to A4 (or whatever you want) at any given resolution. It does have occasional flashes of brilliance, the versioning system means that you never ruin the master image, the lightview table allows you to preview albums and groups of images. Importing files is simple and the stacks facility is very useful. Lots of promise for the future but it will take more to fully prise me away from Photoshop.

lilbandit said:
Lots of promise for the future...

I stopped by the Apple Store in Cincinnati right before x-mass and played with it on a Quad/30" Cinema (wow...wow...wow [the machine, that is]) and a 15" PowerBook (ran good, better than expected on it). Based on what I saw during that, its definitely something I'd use and I think they got a good idea going...but I have to agree it definitely needs some improvements. Reminds me of the Keynote 1 vs. Keynote 2 differences.

So it'll be an app I buy in the future...but not until the next version or possibly the one after that.

Back