Apple hunts for iPod collision patent

Would it also have a loudspeaker that could scream "Aaaaaargh!" while at it? ;)

I don't believe that until I hear an IBM laptop HD scream "Aaaaargh!" myself. ;) But yes, they do that. Question is whether there's already a patent for it, I guess...

Yes, the Thinkpads do have the anti-collision-damage technology, and IBM has also discretely licensed this technology to Apple for some iBooks and PowerBooks. I'm surprised though that a new patent would be required to include this technology on the iPod though.

Yeah, Apple is no better than other companies when it comes to blatant patent abuse. Software patents are usually worse than hardware patents, but obviously not always, as this case demonstrates

I read somewhere (and I don't remember the source, so take this with a grain of salt) that about 50% of patents that people try to enforce in court, are found to be invalid - typically due to prior art, as in this case, or obviousness. Of the remaining half, in some cases where the court finds the patent is violated, in others it finds they weren't. I think it was something like 50/50 again - so only about 25% of patent cases are successful, and in half the cases the complainant actually loses the patent itself.

symphonix said:
I'm surprised though that a new patent would be required to include this technology on the iPod though.
The patent is not required... It's only an Apple advantage to propose this new patent, because if they write it in the right way (and I think they have good lawyers) you can be sure that any other mp3 player can include this technology without Apple's permission...

Back