Apple just totally pissed me off.

Was your computer rendered obsolete by the new high-end iMac?

• Yes, my computer sucks in comparison, now.

• Yes, but it was already rendered obsolete by a CRT-based iMac.

• No. My nice Mac here is still better than the new high-end iMac. And that's a good thing. :)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

simX

Unofficial Mac Genius
OK, look at my sig. And now look at the tech specs for the new iMac. My cube is now humbled in comparison to ..... an iMac? I would've expected it to be trumped by a PowerMac in 6 months, and trounced soundly by new PowerMacs/PowerBooks in a year. But being so totally ripped apart by an iMac after just 1.5 years? Oh, damn, am I mad. ;)

Now I'll never get $1500 for my cube on eBay. :(

ManicDVLN, why don't you go fuck off?

We don't need your slimy ilk here.

SimX - You should have no problem getting around $900-$1000 for that Cube. At least, that's what several of them are going to on eBay right now.

obsolete is a relevent term.
Obsolete computers are computers with which you cant do much with. I can still do A LOT of stuff on my 350Mhz G3 (blue and white)

I consider my Performa 635CD obsolete cause other than word processing I cant do anything with it.

I squirmed a bit when I installed iPhoto (yup, I'm in X now. congrats to me!) and it recommended a 400 mhz G3. That's only one step away from my iBook 500 I bought 5 months ago. But oh well, I really don't have speed issues with it so hopefully this iBook will last me for another year and half or so...

Originally posted by AdmiralAK
obsolete is a relevent term.
Obsolete computers are computers with which you cant do much with. I can still do A LOT of stuff on my 350Mhz G3 (blue and white)

I consider my Performa 635CD obsolete cause other than word processing I cant do anything with it.

You meant, "obsolete is a relative term", right? :D Silly, AK.

By the way, a machine is obsolete when something is better than it. My cube certainly can do a whole number of things still, and that's why I use it. But it's still obsolete, because of the new PowerMacs, PowerBooks, and now the iMac. Just one more product to go. :(

serpi: Yeah, I'm sure I can, but I guess I'm relying a lot on the form factor of the cube now, instead of the power of the cube. That new iMac sure packs an oomph into a small package. And my cube packs a lot less oomph compared to the new iMac. Oh, well. I guess I should've known it was going to happen sometime -- I guess it's just a shock that it happened so soon.

Oh, and ManicDVLN? You just got promoted: from "Idiotic PC user", to "Ignored user". Knock yourself out.

Originally posted by simX

By the way, a machine is obsolete when something is better than it.
Nope, AK was right.

obsolete adj out of use or practice, not current. Out of date, unfashionable or outmoded, worn out.

It's obsolete when you can't use it any more. My car is a heap of junk, and there are loads of cars BETTER than it. But it gets me from A to B. The obsolescence factor is what has made me stick to Macs for so long. Until I got my Tibook, I was quite happily using my PB1400cs without any problem at all to do 90% of my work. You try doing that on an equally old PC.

I guess you could consider my 500 MHz iBook DVD obsolete now, but more by the newer iBook than the iMac (although I'm sure the iMac runs circles around my iBook). But I'm definitely not mad, I'm just trying to find ways to earn money so I can upgrade. :D

i voted no i have a G4 Dual 500 as my man computer so actually the only thing the iMac can do but my G4 can't is burn DVD's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back