Apple laptop on an airplane

mulvawood

Registered
I have a 15" titanium laptop. Whenever I am flying I have trouble getting the machine to start up. It takes me 10 minutes at least of pushing the power button to get it to start.

hmmmm...... perhaps its either a coincidence, or maybe the power of the airplane radio and engine, and the turbulance, is confusing your poor laptop.
Perhaps you can turn it on when waiting to BOARD the plane, put it to sleep, put it in your bag, take it onto the plane, take out your comp and start doing your things!

Could have something to do with cabin pressure. I've never had trouble with my IceBook starting up, but you never know.
You can try the sleep thing, but don't let the stwards catch wind, they'll ask you to shut if off during takeoff. Just let me know if you're on the same flight.

If you have trouble getting it to start, bring along a bebe or something small and put it on the power button and close the lid. Hopefully this will trigger your computer to turn on; just be sure to open the lid and remove the bebe as soon as you hear the chime, or it may shut off again.

This might not be a very good procedure, since it could potentially damage your screen. Use caution if you go this route.

I'm thinking it's the cabin pressure too, it might be too low. If a laptop is over a certain elevation/altitude it won't even operate.

rhisiart said:
Yes, me too (including my own iBook).
Interestingly though, the operating altitiude for the G3 series was apparently 0 to 10,000 feet (0 to 3048 m). No idea what the current G4/G5 limit is!

But remember you're in a pressurized cabin so you don't have to take that into consideration.
Only if you climb mountains or fly sportsplanes and alike that don't have the pressurized cabin you will get into trouble.

I had that problem earlier when I used to switch off the laptop sometimes ... it got easiest solved by leaving the computer to sleep - that was it was fast to open and get ready to use. And also get ready to show it works for the x-ray men before or after flying.

Back