Apple observations and opinions

TellarHK

Sarcastic Jerk
Over the past several months, I've written quite a few posts on a few different forum sites regarding my experiences coming over as a Windows PC user with some experience in Linux, to my recent ownership of an iBook Dual USB. Several things have come to my attention in these months, and I would like to summarize some of them here in order to see what longtime Mac users and owners think of the observations I've made.

First, I'd like to start with misconceptions that I see continuing to appear in regards to Apple's current focus and equipment. It seems to me that there is a lot of confusion about the state of OS X in regards to the functioning of the upcoming Quartz Extreme.

It has been made clear over several weeks of reading and interpreting statements made by various sources that the Quartz Extreme package will only affect users with Radeon or GeForce based cards, but that other enhancements to X 10.2 will bring improvement of varying measure to users of older graphics chipsets and hardware most commonly in use. Though few direct statements have been made to give numerical examples of speed increases on specific hardware, it is speculated that improvement will be made for just about every configuration.

Another misconception is that Apple is hostile to developers. This may have been the truth in the past, but today it seems Apple is going to lengths to achieve the appearance of openness. With the downloadable developer tools, Apple has struck a single blow to Microsoft in that companies or individuals who wish to customize nearly any aspect of operations have the ability as long as skills permit. With Microsoft, the expense of development tools is well known. However, it is easy to see where Apple might lead some to continue believing they are clinging to the ways of the past by noticing the many applications Apple is developing "in house" that incorporate the ideas of traditionally (in the Windows world) outside parties. The strongest example I have seen so far is the Watson-esque features planned for Sherlock 3. An act like this on Microsoft's part would be reviled, however on Apple's it is tolerated, even by me. No, I can't explain it either.

Other observations I have made include notes on Apple's current shift in product lifespans and features. What I have noted in the past few months is a rapid acceleration of Apple's power curve. For many people, this is a very good thing. For others, it is highly disheartening. Belonging to the latter group myself, I must nonetheless admit it is a good thing for Apple to be bringing itself to doing - if they are capable of moderation. In the Windows world, it is very easy to justify rapid and frequent system upgrades due to poorly designed programs and increased overhead that it has taken to make the Windows kernels more robust. This cycle has increasingly disgusted many users, and has led to a growing mindset of self-made systems. As those with the understanding of how to build an x86 machine are able to do so from easily replaceable and upgradeable parts, the pace of innovation is sustainable in the x86 world for even those of limited resources.

With Apple, the truth is that they cannot make money on turning hardware into as much of a commodity item as it is with x86 equipment. As such, they need to continually cannibalize thier own market segment by encouraging upgrades at a somewhat steady pace. For several years, Apple hardware has stagnated in performance and features, until only recently. The latest incarnation of Apple's product roadmap appears to be geared toward much faster acceleration of product to market, in an effort to compete with the Windows encroachment on Apple's core businesses (namely desktop publishing and education). It is important to see whether Apple will be able to strike the careful balance of pace that will leave fewer of its die-hard customers with outdated hardware. Since Apple equipment has traditionally had high longevity in comparison to x86 systems, recent purchasers of Apple equipment (admittedly including myself) may feel somewhat jaded by the visibly shorter lifespan of our hardware in contrast to what we might have expected.

And now that I've criticized Apple for a few things, it's time to point out what things I've observed have gone right.

Apple has done the right thing in regards to ceasing OS 9 development and encouraging a move toward OS X. Though this does conflict with my concerns about hardware becoming more rapidly outdated, it makes an important point that does need to be made. That Apple will come to focus more and more strictly on improving what they've created.

I also believe based on reaction from users and the trade press, that Apple's focus on "digital hub" creation may pay off quite well if given a chance. It is an excellent idea, and Apple has created a set of software applications which can exploit it properly when used together.

Apple's attempts to recapture the education market are excellent ones. If my credit wasn't so hopelessly poor, an eMac would have been my graduation gift to myself before I left school this May. Unfortunately, I couldn't get one even if I wanted it any longer.

And before I close this posting, I'll make a few "suggestions" and hopes for the future of Apple.

Unfortunately the pricetag on Apple hardware may indeed by slightly high. Many people have debated the cost of Apple equipment, comparing it to less expensive PC equipment, but those who have actually grown to understand the design methodology of Apple and the techniques used by x86 system manufacturers will recognize that the premium for Apple's hardware is slimmer than one might think.

OS X is a system in it's infancy, but at the same time it is bogged down with legacy architectural choices and an interface so much more technically advanced than any other that it is often struggling under the load. With Apple's focus shift, we can hopefully expect a much more rapid growth of speed and stability enhancements to OS X applications. It may not be as simple for the user as Apple once was, but the overall result will be worth it.

The G4 iMac may be an excellent machine, but Apple needs to try and get away from the "one model to rule them all" mindset when it comes to home systems. If Apple could make a profit marketing the eMac or a similar device at a cheaper pricetag, by all means they should. I don't know if I believe in the 'gMac' idea I saw here recently simply because a used Sawtooth seems like it might fit the same (or similar) bill.

That's all for this rather long runon thought, and I hope people don't think I'm too far off the mark.

"The strongest example I have seen so far is the Watson-esque features planned for Sherlock 3. An act like this on Microsoft's part would be reviled, however on Apple's it is tolerated, even by me. No, I can't explain it either."

Actually, Apple's Sherlock (and subsequent capabilities) came before Watson. Watson just jumped the gun on new features in OSX that Apple, obviously, would take advantage of.

"In the Windows world, it is very easy to justify rapid and frequent system upgrades due to poorly designed programs and increased overhead that it has taken to make the Windows kernels more robust."

I would say you are largely correct, but that the newest XP Kernel hopes to fix all of those problems. Will it happen? Who knows, Microsoft is too unpredictable.

"As those with the understanding of how to build an x86 machine are able to do so from easily replaceable and upgradeable parts, the pace of innovation is sustainable in the x86 world for even those of limited resources."

Not so. As a PC user, technician, and designer, I noticed that the PC market is very much a dynamic one - the system parts are not so easily replacable or upgradable. Ram, video cards, and peripherals are all a good example of this. Intel's seemingly divergent attitude on DDR Ram (vs. Rambus) surely didn't help the industry. AGP4x cards might have trouble in an AGP2x system. Intel and Via are still fighting a chipset war - standards are failing to be set - and the PC industry, as a whole, is moving too fast for its own good...need I go on.

Further, you must define innovation. I don't consider Intel moving from 1.8 GHz to 2.53 GHz as 'innovation.' Enhancement, yes - but innovative, no. Where was USB 2.0 in all of this? Why is it that Intel sets the stage for all standards? Why hasn't FireWire proliferated on PCs? When all is said and done, it's not as easy as one would imagine to simply 'upgrade' a PC without a major chipset (MOBO) change. Innovation, also, must be relooked in an industry very hostile to set standards, and very slow to implement such standards. Apple's track record is a bit better, and they've led such innovations as FireWire, MPEG-4 implementation into Quicktime 6, and implementation of the SuperDrive, to name a few.

"Since Apple equipment has traditionally had high longevity in comparison to x86 systems, recent purchasers of Apple equipment (admittedly including myself) may feel somewhat jaded by the visibly shorter lifespan of our hardware in contrast to what we might have expected."

Again, I think this is a PC mentality. MHz is MHz - but system architecture, OS included, is really what counts. My 733 Digital Audio G4 is practical, reliable, and fast. Never again will I buy a PC - for much the reasons listed above. Apple knows that it needs to compete - but I think they are already competing. Their operating system is state-of-the-art - and I think that's key to keeping a certain market share. I seriously doubt my March 2001 purchase of my G4 will be obsolete anytime soon - if I were in PC world - that might not be so. Windows 98, Windows ME, and Windows XP were all released in a relatively short amount of time (as compared to Apple's OSes) - I don't forsee OS 11 anytime soon. In the Windows world (as far as functionality), hardware follows software - in the Apple world, software follows hardware - and I think that's the way it should be. As you stated, "That Apple will come to focus more and more strictly on improving what they've created."

"I also believe based on reaction from users and the trade press, that Apple's focus on "digital hub" creation may pay off quite well if given a chance. It is an excellent idea, and Apple has created a set of software applications which can exploit it properly when used together."

The 'digital hub' model will assuredly pay off well. Not only does Apple maintain full control over R&D of the hardware it creates - but the software as well. The end-user will, no doubt, be happier with a more stable and, in most cases, easier program - meshed in with FireWire, USB, and other industry standards. Apple has already been given the chance, and through its own innovative desires and techniques, it's paying off. One of the business courses I recently took was simply a study on Steve Jobs, NeXT, and Apple's reincarnation - Steve knows what he's doing, and I think the computer industry will support him.

"Apple's attempts to recapture the education market are excellent ones."

Remember the XServe, too! :)

"The G4 iMac may be an excellent machine, but Apple needs to try and get away from the "one model to rule them all" mindset when it comes to home systems."

The 1,599$ (sans monitor) Quicksilver G4 is, in my opinion, a perfectly reasonable home system alternative.

"...and I hope people don't think I'm too far off the mark."

I think you're on the mark - it will surely be interesting to see what lies ahead for Apple, its hardware and software.

Brad

Originally posted by telarium
Actually, Apple's Sherlock (and subsequent capabilities) came before Watson. Watson just jumped the gun on new features in OSX that Apple, obviously, would take advantage of.

Sherlock 1 and 2 were both good products, and it is somewhat understandable that Apple would have planned to extend the features of it to what Watson currently offers at some point. However, I just think the similarities and the specific functions that've been shown in the few Jaguar screenshots I've seen are a bit too close to let Apple off the hook entirely. I'm not going to start any "groundswell of antipathy" or anything, but it did deserve mentioning that it compares to acts Microsoft had taken in the past with the initial integration campaigns. Apple's matched Microsoft application for application, and has done a much better job of it overall. Though I admit I'm one person who just can't fall in love with iTunes for some reason. Maybe it's the brushed metal and minimalism. I like buttons.

I would say you are largely correct, but that the newest XP Kernel hopes to fix all of those problems. Will it happen? Who knows, Microsoft is too unpredictable.

Well, it's hard to know when XP's kernel actually changes. Considering that I've had patches come in practically every two or three weeks... But yes, Microsoft is always claiming "the next version will actually work the way we said the first would..." With the Windows world, I'm tired of that. In the unix world, I expect it to happen and expect it to have meaning. XP is actually Microsoft's best OS by a longshot, but it's... well, it's just Windows.

Not so. As a PC user, technician, and designer, I noticed that the PC market is very much a dynamic one - the system parts are not so easily replacable or upgradable. Ram, video cards, and peripherals are all a good example of this. Intel's seemingly divergent attitude on DDR Ram (vs. Rambus) surely didn't help the industry. AGP4x cards might have trouble in an AGP2x system. Intel and Via are still fighting a chipset war - standards are failing to be set - and the PC industry, as a whole, is moving too fast for its own good...need I go on.

Sitting on or around my two desks I've got a Sony VAIO desktop, my iBook, an Athlon I built from scratch and a few older boxes ranging from 50Mhz Sparc systems to a Pentium 100. Actually, I started building the Athlon in around 93-94 when it was a '486-75. Part by part I've upgraded it and never had to spend more than $300 at a time to do it, and that included full MB/CPU/RAM replacements. And I actually think what's been going on with the industry has been very good for it. Competition between DDR and Rambus actually forced Rambus to drop it's prices substantially when it was discovered that today's generation of machines simply doesn't work the way Rambus technology needs it to in order to have peak performance. The competition between AMD and Intel has brought us price wars that hekoed cause the PC market to actually become so consumer friendly that the companies began to feel some serious hurt. Intel's decision on Rambus vs. DDR has actually helped quite a bit, because it means you can get the chip that best suits your needs. Server, you can get rambus. Workstation or home, DDR is for you. As to AGP video, sure, there can be bumps there. But most systems allow you to simply tell the port or the card to run at 2X for compatibility. As long as that kind of feature exists, the issue will never really be anything more than a mild inconvenience easily made up for by flexibility.

Further, you must define innovation. I don't consider Intel moving from 1.8 GHz to 2.53 GHz as 'innovation.' Enhancement, yes - but innovative, no. Where was USB 2.0 in all of this? Why is it that Intel sets the stage for all standards? Why hasn't FireWire proliferated on PCs? When all is said and done, it's not as easy as one would imagine to simply 'upgrade' a PC without a major chipset (MOBO) change. Innovation, also, must be relooked in an industry very hostile to set standards, and very slow to implement such standards. Apple's track record is a bit better, and they've led such innovations as FireWire, MPEG-4 implementation into Quicktime 6, and implementation of the SuperDrive, to name a few.

Nobody ever said Apple didn't innovate. They're key innovators for the entire industry. However, a lot of the basic innovations on the PC side were adopted with Apple as well. Most of the biggest PC innovations in the past few years have been a lot lower profile. MMX, 3D Now!, SSE, SSE2, SIMD, EAX, HyperTransport, PCI-X... A few of these are just starting to make inroads or are still on the horizon, but the innovation is there. And it's actually pretty easy to replace a motherboard. I had to replace one that burned out several weeks ago in a hurry. I knew it wouldn't really matter if I got an AMD board, a VIA board, or even an SiS board as long as it had the right socket, and the ports I needed. Even if my machine didn't have parts for all the new toys, it'd still run fine with the old ones. The PC industry may have problems adopting eachother's standards, but for the most part they make sure it all plays at least cordially with eachother in the seperate AMD and Intel camps.

Software "innovation" is definitely harder to define. In my eyes, most of the innovation is done by smaller companies or groups and then swallowed up by a megacorp. Yes, there is a lot more incompatibility in these areas, but more and more these things are being smoothed out over time. Unfortunately, with so many hands in the game, everyone has an agenda. With Apple, there's only Apple's agenda. That means things will be more stable, but as to innovation, they're probably just a little better than Microsoft is. They just look and feel a lot better thanks to having more control over the environment. Now, I vastly prefer my OS X to my Windows XP as far as the design of the OS goes. But I've got to try and remain objective about what each company has done.

Again, I think this is a PC mentality. MHz is MHz - but system architecture, OS included, is really what counts. My 733 Digital Audio G4 is practical, reliable, and fast. Never again will I buy a PC - for much the reasons listed above. Apple knows that it needs to compete - but I think they are already competing. Their operating system is state-of-the-art - and I think that's key to keeping a certain market share. I seriously doubt my March 2001 purchase of my G4 will be obsolete anytime soon - if I were in PC world - that might not be so. Windows 98, Windows ME, and Windows XP were all released in a relatively short amount of time (as compared to Apple's OSes) - I don't forsee OS 11 anytime soon. In the Windows world (as far as functionality), hardware follows software - in the Apple world, software follows hardware - and I think that's the way it should be. As you stated, "That Apple will come to focus more and more strictly on improving what they've created."

The megahertz myth is precisely that, and the underlying architecture of the PPC started out much better than x86. Unfortunately, advances like AMD's HyperTransport have really given x86 new life, albeit short with the hopeful ascent of AMD's 64 bit x86 compatible architecture. And inside the x86 chip the enhancements have increased in quality, with the K7 being the best example. Athlon/K7 chips perform more cycles than an Intel Pentium, which seems to be the most commonly compared chip to the G3 and G4 line. Cycle for cycle, I'm afraid the G4 would most likely lose to the Athlon. Or at least be in a very close race on most operations. But no, the real emphasis here isn't on just the processor speed, it's the whole experience that needs to be judged. And your March 2001 750Mhz G4 may not be obsolete or outdated any time soon, but my November 2001 G3 500 feels it already. If I wasn't needing to move soon, I'd already have tried to trade my iBook in and get a newer model.

Microsoft has done x86 users an incredible disservice by releasing 98/2K/98SE/Me/XP the way they have. I won't even try and defend -that- foulup. It's almost entirely the reason my first ever loan went to purchasing an Apple.

The 'digital hub' model will assuredly pay off well. Not only does Apple maintain full control over R&D of the hardware it creates - but the software as well. The end-user will, no doubt, be happier with a more stable and, in most cases, easier program - meshed in with FireWire, USB, and other industry standards. Apple has already been given the chance, and through its own innovative desires and techniques, it's paying off. One of the business courses I recently took was simply a study on Steve Jobs, NeXT, and Apple's reincarnation - Steve knows what he's doing, and I think the computer industry will support him.

Continued next post. Damn limit. :)

Steve's got his head in the right place for the most part. I find it hard to fault most of what he's done with Apple's resurgence and innovation in the past couple years. I'm one of those people who hopes to save up enough money to pick up a NeXT cube as a conversation piece in the living room. Hell, I'd even use it. But the unfortunate side effect is that Apple is running it's product lines a lot closer to the edge of what seems to be outdated. A lot of die hard Mac owners feel that a G3 500 would be just -fine-, with 10.1. Unfortunately, I am a PC user and tech and I just can't help feel a little weird with the lack of UI responsiveness I get. However, I also can't just drop back to OS 9. The <-10.x series of Mac operating systems were the #1 reason I couldn't stand the hardware for nearly a decade. It may be faster, but I can't respect the core of it.

My concern about planned obsolesence is that already I'm seeing major core system components being made that're incompatible with my relatively recent system. Considering that up until only three weeks or less ago, Apple was still selling machines that would come in under the specifications we needed. I'm just concerned that six months from now, we'll see applications requiring Quartz Extreme. This, from what I'd heard in the past, isn't standard procedure for Apple. Apple always seemed to have a philosophy of taking slightly better care of their customers. Since getting my iBook, I have to admit it hasn't felt completely like that. Though I will admit the 4 day turnaround for my loose trackpad issue was amazingly well handled.

Remember the XServe, too! :)

I like Xserve. Mmm.

The 1,599$ (sans monitor) Quicksilver G4 is, in my opinion, a perfectly reasonable home system alternative.

I'll have to look at the specs on that, but if I recall, it seemed to come with a bit less RAM than 10.1 really needed.

I think you're on the mark - it will surely be interesting to see what lies ahead for Apple, its hardware and software.

Thanks, I hope this post hasn't changed that too far away from your original opinion. :) Writing it late and distracted may have made me a bit more verbose than I should have been.

Back