Apple orders 40,000 970s

I was fairly positive that the 970 was a hotter chip than the G4, but I could be wrong. I would love to find the actual watts this thing requires...

*/goes back to searching for cold, hard facts

here we go...

http://arstechnica.com/cpu/02q2/ppc970/ppc970-1.html

The 970@ 1.8 GHz uses 42 Watts
The G4e@ 1 GHz uses 30 Watts

From the article...
As you can see from the table, the 970 at 1.8 GHz is much closer to the G4e than to the P4 2.8 GHz in terms of power dissipation. This means that Apple will be able to use this chip in the kinds of innovative enclosure designs that make their hardware continually appealing, regardless of how it performs. Furthermore, a 1U, 970-based version of the XServe is not out of the question. And if you consider the fact that the 970's power consumption at 1.2GHz is a mere 19W, it's almost certain that we'll see a future notebook from Apple based on the new chip.

It appears that I was wrong :(

It will be a hotter chip at current speeds than the G4 currently is, but that's a side effect of the higher clock, not the chip design.

MHz for MHz the 970 is cooler, although it will be a little more of a challenge for cooling because of it's speed.

I will take that trade-off any day. Heck, if it were twice as hot and twice as fast I'd take that. We're so far behind as far as clock speeds on the desktop go that I'd take a desktop only chip (you can always find a way to cool it, albeit a loud way) and let them go back to the drawing board to find a way to upgrade the laptops. But this sounds like a great chip. Hope all the rumors are true. It sure is the most logical step to take for Apple.

If and when Apple chooses to implement it on the PowerMac, they will be able to claim the crown of having the first 64-bit desktop, which would be excellent publicity if nothing else.

Even though I am looking forward to this new chip I don't think Apple can claim to have the first 64bit desktop. Ever heard of Compaq/True64 , Sun/Solaris , and Sgi/Irix?

Ever heard of Compaq/True64 , Sun/Solaris , and Sgi/Irix?

Aren't those all workstations? like for offices? what I think he meant was that this would be the first 64bit desktop that everyone could use.

Originally posted by Da_iMac_Daddy
Aren't those all workstations? like for offices? what I think he meant was that this would be the first 64bit desktop that everyone could use.

That's correct. These are all labeled workstations, not desktops.

Besides... Motorola beat all these guys to the punch as well. There were previous 64 bit motorola chips used in a few desktops (albeit a small number)

Originally posted by Rhino_G3
That's correct. These are all labeled workstations, not desktops.

Besides... Motorola beat all these guys to the punch as well. There were previous 64 bit motorola chips used in a few desktops (albeit a small number)

Really, JOOC what processors were they based on and who produced them? Both 060 and 88k were 32bit right? Are you referring to PPC 620?

Yes, you're right on that. I was speaking about the 620. If I'm not mistaken the 620 was used in a few desktop boxes.

Maybe these were more workstation class as well.

Yes, you're right on that. I was speaking about the 620. If I'm not mistaken the 620 was used in a few desktop boxes.

Maybe these were more workstation class as well.

I don't think any machines ever shipped with the 620. If they did, they most likely would have been AIX based (i.e. not "desktop" or pc (generic)).

If 10.3 is 64bit, then the Mac would be the first pc to be fully 64bit (OS and cpu) geared towards the mass market (and certainly the consumer market).

heck, most of windows isn't fully 32bit yet. PCs are so mired in backwards compatibility that it's surprising there's any speed left for the programs that need to run.

These are all labeled workstations, not desktops.
OK, what's the difference, exactly? Performance? Maybe like...

Servers (most powerful)
Workstations
Desktops
Laptops

Originally posted by MDLarson
OK, what's the difference, exactly? Performance? Maybe like...

Servers (most powerful)
Workstations
Desktops
Laptops

Generally that's sorta how it goes. But there is no hard and fast definition. Take the video card out of a high end machine and voila, you have a server. Is a maxed out PC with a $1000 OpenGL acclerated video card still a pc or is it a workstation? The difference is more in the marketing (how it's presented and how it's priced). In the old days you could say "it runs *nix, it's a workstation". Of course nowdays with OSX and Linux, you can't make that generalization any more. And not even in performance. A file/web server needs fast io (disk and network) but not necessarily the hottest cpu. So even with slower cpu's, a "server" with a nice raid and intelligent ethernet adaptors could kill a higher end machine with "only" a single 7200 rpm ata-100 drive in disk i/o. However that same higher end machine would destroy that server in raw cpu performance. Web servers have vastly different performance needs than a database server, etc, etc, etc.

So the answer is that there is no specific answer. It's mainly in the interpretation.

Originally posted by Koelling
heck, most of windows isn't fully 32bit yet. PCs are so mired in backwards compatibility that it's surprising there's any speed left for the programs that need to run.

That's not true for the NT branch of the family (NT, Win2k, etc). There is a bunch of 16bit code, but that code is there to specifically support 16bit apps. A 32bit app should never see any 16bit code while executing. Now it may be true for the "consumer" Windoze versions (95, 98, ME, etc), but I don't know for sure.

Very true about Wintel in general having mucho baggage due to it's heritage (hardware and software).

I totally agree with binary here. The only time NT lets anything access the 16-bit code is if it's 16-bit software or hardware(believe it or not people still use old ISA cards).

As for Win9x it is not fully 32-bit because it still practiclly runs ontop of DOS since it still depends on IO.sys, MSDOS.sys, and command.com to bootup(NT depends on NTLDR).

boneske

hrmmm... but what really divides the line between a workstation and a desktop?

I see the high-end Power Macs as workstation plus I used to use a Solaris box as my main desktop. And now that AMD has the Opteron out they have been popping out here and there for desktop use. My point is, Apple is not the first. But let's just hope they will be the first 'successful' widely used 64bit desktop :D

Originally posted by binaryDigit
I don't think any machines ever shipped with the 620. If they did, they most likely would have been AIX based (i.e. not "desktop" or pc (generic)).

If 10.3 is 64bit, then the Mac would be the first pc to be fully 64bit (OS and cpu) geared towards the mass market (and certainly the consumer market).

That could very well be true. I believe it was an IBM box that the 620 shipped in, although I could be way off base.

You're completely correct about the 970 and 10.3 being the first geared toward the end user.

I don't know of any machine ever using the PPC 620. The plan was to have X86 compatibility. Full compatibility. However, I think, the chip was too big, too hot and too slow (in X86) at the time. Apple chose to use a PCI card with an X86 compatible chip for their 'PC Compatible' Macs at the time (PowerMacintosh 6100 DOS for example).

Originally posted by fryke
I don't know of any machine ever using the PPC 620. The plan was to have X86 compatibility. Full compatibility. However, I think, the chip was too big, too hot and too slow (in X86) at the time. Apple chose to use a PCI card with an X86 compatible chip for their 'PC Compatible' Macs at the time (PowerMacintosh 6100 DOS for example).

I think your confusing the 620 with the 615. The 620 was supposed to be basically what the 970 is today, a 64bit SMP friendly monster. The 615 was supposed to be a 604 (or 603) with built in x86 emulation. Neither chip made it outside of Somerset afaik.

Back