Apple orders 40,000 970s

Originally posted by arden
What I want to know is how Apple is going to redesign their tower cases.
From what I've heard the new motherboard designs cannot physically fit into the current case designs, which has made a new design necessary. I remember reading a few rumours about it (the design) a month or so back, but nothing very specific or very reliable. At any rate, the shape/fit of the motherboards seems to be reasonably accurate. Of course this could just lead them to stretch the current design "up" or "back"...

Originally posted by MDLarson
OK, what's the difference, exactly? Performance? Maybe like...

Servers (most powerful)
Workstations
Desktops
Laptops
Well two of those types do or can have pretty significant physical differences. The most obvious is that laptops have an attached monitor and fold up into a flat package that is easy to carry (plus all the other stuff about battery power and different architecture that deals differently with heat, power, etc).

The other is servers. Many servers are designed to be rack mounted and include such features as hot swappable drives and redundant power supplies. Many are also designed--all the way down to the cpu--to be much more reliable and resistant to crashes, which can often contribute to slightly slower clock speeds because of physical limits. From a software perspective servers also usually run a different operating system that is easier to maintain remotely.

Looking at the final two categories you could think of them as being partly differentiated by hardware and partly by purpose. Workstations generally have faster hardware and are intended for more intensive tasks. Desktops typically are not quite as fast or as robust. This is the hardware difference. The purpose difference is where you see Compaq supplying one level of computers to CompUSA and another to business resellers (like the company I work for). A desktop would be a computer for SoHo users while a workstation would be found in a business/corporate environment. Looking at the Apple lineup you could say that the eMac and iMac are desktops while the Powermac is a workstation. This isn't completely accurate, but it points the way, I think. This is all just my interpretation, though, and may be not entirely valid.

i think if apple shows the ppc-970 at wwdc they better be shipping by CREATE of whatever the hell its called today - if these rumors are true then apple should have plenty of machines to ship off, and they would still be in pretty heavy production. all this is kinda exciting!

Regardless of what they show off at WWDC I have a hard time believing that they would ship the actual machines before Panther was ready to ship as well, and nothing I have heard leads me to believe that will be before August-September.

That's most likely true. I doubt Apple would make an interim 10.2.x release just to take advantage of the new chip.

so what would be the demise of the machines prior ppc-970? they'll sell as refurbished or somewhere along the lines?

of course prices will go down but how much of a price difference you think?

Originally posted by drustar
so what would be the demise of the machines prior ppc-970? they'll sell as refurbished or somewhere along the lines?

of course prices will go down but how much of a price difference you think?

My question exactly, I'm holding out for price reductions on the current powerbook.

I don't think you'll get much of a price break on the PB, as discussed earlier I expect they'll use the G4 chip for quite some time. Aside from the specifics of the 970 in laptops, just think back to the G4. How long were Powerbooks still using G3s after the G4 was introduced in desktops? Off the top of my head I'd say it was at least a year.

And the message to the public would be: "Become an ADC Select or Premier member and buy a PowerMacintosh G5 computer at a reduced introductory price."

Wow, suddenly all graphics shops around the world would turn out to be interested in ADC membership. ;-)

Back