Apple - Part III - The Saga Continues

georgelien

Registered
So Steve buried OS 9. Good for him!
This is one way for Apple to push OS X to developers.
It also showed Steve's concern regarding to the evolution of the new OS, a little late, a little slow.

But if Race has the right number, Steve and Apple really have something to be concerned about: http://www.macinstein.com/pressrelease.cfm?ID=1152

Disagree all you like. I just want to present people the reality.

Regards,
George Lien

Thank goodness for the article! I better uninstall Mac OS X from my computer pronto and reinstall OS 9 onto it... I can't wait to get back to the 1984 memory management scheme and cooperative multitasking. Heck! Maybe I'll find an OS 8.6 CD somewhere and install that instead! Who needs progress?!

so? what are you saying? os 9 is a thing of the past, no matter how many people still use it ...

So what? Apple needs to do something to lure Classic users to adapt OS X. Otherwise, Apple's market share will always remain in single digit.

While progress is important, so is the market share.

Apple products are cool. But the cool factor can only do so much.
Money is still the determining factor when people decide which computer to buy.

I use a Mac, because Apple is, or I should say, was good at intergrating its software and hardware. The computer company, however, is yet to provide its past success with the new OS.

I just don't want this PowerBook of mine to be last Apple product I buy.

Regards,
George Lien

Originally posted by sithious
so? what are you saying? os 9 is a thing of the past, no matter how many people still use it ...

Agreed. But it's not like by saying a thousand time "Windows sucks" could help increase the sale of the Macs.

"Fear leads to anger; anger leads to hate; hate leads you to the dark side," oh jedi knight.

We must help others, especially the old Mac users, to get on board with the new OS if we want it to have a brighter future.

Return customers are the most important customers. For they were the ones who kept Apple alive all these years.

Regards,
George Lien

If you are not aware of it, Apple's marketshare is actually growing.

http://news.com.com/2100-1040-893232.html

This thread has been discussed to death, so the question is, WHAT does George WANT?

If George want OS 9 - ugh, it's still there. Steve Jobs states that "OS 9 is not dead for our consumers". So what if all new Apple software is being focused on OS X? Apple did the same thing with OS 7 and OS 8... They released updates but that's all they did. Which is actually better than MS, since they literally drops the older OS when new versions come out.

So WHAT does George WANT that Apple is not delivering?

Thank you. "But there was one time at the band camp" Apple used to have close to 10% market share?

What do I want? I want increased speed from MacOS X.

If we cannot give them, the consumers, 2GHz machines, then I want to give people 1GHz machine with an OS that can do 2GHz work load.

You know what I'm saying?

Intergration, what Apple was good at.

It's actually happy people like you who are slowing the progress of the OS.

If we demanded more, we would get more, Apple would have to do more.

But first, we have to demand.

Regards,
George Lien

Goerge... you reek of troll.

What precisely are you trying to convince me of?

Have you reinstalled OS X with an HFS+ file system yet?

That's your first speed problem. Until Apple works some mojo and gets their new employee (who used to work at Be) to fix some things... we're stuck with an HFS+ file system. Stop b*tching about the speed until then :)

I think it's fair to think that everyone wants speed increases from Mac OS X. I have yet to meet anyone who wants their OS to run slower. So isn't that redundant?

If you have specific needs and features that you would like Apple to implement, it is far more productive to contact them directly about it. They have even set up a convenient web page for it.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/feedback/

And yes, I am very happy with Mac OS X. I was a major supporter of NeXTSTEP and a UNIX junkie at heart. For the second time in my life, I am excited about an OS (the first was with NeXTSTEP). I write enterprise applications for major corporations, and for the first time ever, I am able to do my work on a Mac! My manager stated that I am the first developer he has ever known that has a Mac as his personal machine. And because of it, all my developer friends are thinking of migrating to OS X.

As a new Mac user, I don't see how I am impeding the progress of OS X, since I am part of the crowd that is helping Apple gain its marketshare, and I find your accusation quite offensive.

Am I content with the state of Mac OS X and Apple in general? Of course not, we all demand progress, but considering the fact that almost every feature I've asked for in the past 3 months were implemented by Apple, I think they are indeed listening. I asked for Bluetooth, I got it. I asked for higher resolution in TiBooks, I got it. I wanted a better GPU in TiBooks, got that too. I want the BSD layer to be updated, coming in 10.2. I want spring loaded folder, coming in 10.2. Better Quartz rendering, coming in 10.2. I want rack mounted servers, coming in 9 days.

So Apple is still taking care of their consumers.

As stated, if you have feature requests, give them some feedback. However progress takes time, your "gimme now" attitude is not going to help your cause.

BTW, thanks for making a new user to your "beloved" platform feel welcome.

misquoted by George
"Fear leads to anger; anger leads to hate; hate leads you to the dark side," oh jedi knight.

Yoda, Jedi Master
Fear is the path to the Dark Side. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering.

I sence much fear in you.

As the starter of this and the other notorious threads, I think this applies to you more than anyone less. I can think of no better example of anger than to say that something suck, and you are a very angry person in my opinion.

Wow george, with this, your latest and greatest installment in the "I love Macs, really, it just bothers me that they suck donkey balls" series, you've really convinced me that the performance of OS X is unacceptable.

I am running OS X on a 400MHz iMac, and I don't care that the interface is a bit slower than OS 9 because I can run eleven applications at a time!

What exactly do you hope to achieve by coming here and complaining about the speed of OS X

over and over and over again?

The only thing you've accomplished so far is winning the "Been Called a Troll The Most" award, and I think you absolutely deserve it.

-the valrus

georgelien: I hate to resort to posting something that is almost on the level of an insult, but I'll try to be as forgiving and as nice as possible.

I have one question for you, georgelien. Why haven't you gotten your rear in gear and hauled it off to some store where you can buy a PC? You've stated numerous things that show a Windoze PC would be better off for you, and I am convinced of this fact. Furthermore, the Mac community and the MacOSX.com boards would be better off without a troll who comes on the boards every couple of days just to sound off about how bad Mac OS X is when many people have already adopted it as their main system.

Apple has done a fantastic job of making the transition to Mac OS X and has pushed developers as fast as possible to make their applications Mac OS X native. However, some developers are dragging their heels in porting their applications, most notably Adobe in porting Photoshop (when they DEMONSTRATED a quick and dirty port of Photoshop 5.5 to OS X) and Quark in porting XPress to Mac OS X.

I don't care what your little source says about Mac OS X. It's not Apple that's at fault, it's the developers of the applications and the businesses themselves. If Quark has a massive amount of business users, and it doesn't port their software to OS X, of COURSE no business users are going to use OS X, because it's a pain in the butt to launch Classic just to use an application that you use every day. Same with Photoshop and graphics professionals. It's called "convenience".. ever heard of that, georgelien?

It's also the fault of the business users themselves.. if they don't want to spend the money on OS X just yet, that's their prerogative, and they can upgrade to OS X whenever they want. But for the average consumer, OS X works just fine and much better than OS 9, especially when most new Mac buyers will probably only use OS X because it's the default startup system now.

So, frankly, it doesn't really matter if "only" 1 million Mac users have started using OS X full-time. Also note that this WAS THE STATISTIC AT THE BEGINNING OF THE YEAR. As far as I know, we're in the 5th month of this year, yes? From polls at MacFixit.com and through the MacWorld magazine, I'd say probably about 10% of Mac users have made the full-time switch to OS X. And Apple has tried to make it as easy as possible: Apple provided a Classic environment which runs just about everything right in OS X. Apple also provided the Carbon APIs so that developers could quickly port their applications. Apple has also started giving out free developer tools with every copy of OS X and available free for download so that anyone who wants to make a little program for themselves or to fill a gap in the OS X software list can.

You want to know what Apple is doing to lure people to OS X? I'll give you some things. Protected memory reducing crashes to zilch. TRUE multitasking allowing for a much easier workflow. A beautiful, new interface called Aqua. Nice enhancements to the GUI like the Dock and column view. A UNIX command line for power users, while keeping it hidden from those who don't want to see it. iPhoto. BUILT-IN third-party device support for burners, digital cameras, digital camcorders, etc. Jaguar, which will bring further enhancements to OS X, like Rendezvous, iChat, QuickTime 6. I think that's incentive enough.

So with that out of the way, would you mind telling us why is it that you come on here every couple of days to complain and complain and complain and troll and troll and troll about the fact that Mac OS X is sooo slow and that Mac OS X is never going to catch on and that Apple is only losing market share despite hard evidence that proves the contrary? Why are you still on the Mac platform if you hate it so much? DO YOURSELF A FAVOR. Why don't you GO ONLINE, go to www.dell.com, and get yourself one of those computers that you love so much. You'll be doing yourself a favor: you will no longer have to complain about the speed that everyone else here seems to be able to tolerate, and you'll be doing us a favor: ridding us of a little troll who seems to like to come around these boards and annoy us all.

If you can't leave the Mac platform, maybe then there's something about it that you can't bring yourself to admit. Could it be... *gasp*... BETTER? OMG what an idea!

But I doubt you could bring yourself to admit that. So just go on and get yourself that Dell laptop. You know you want to, and I know that everyone else here wants you to.

if (MacOSX.com board name of reader) is georgelien then
    open URL dell.com
    order random Dell computer
else if reader is an administrator
    display dialog "Please delete this thread." buttons {"Sure thing!"}
else
    display dialog "Let's not post in this thread anymore." buttons {"OK"}
end if

well said simone. except for the parts about deleting this thread and not posting to george's threads anymore. it is quite entertaining at times. He is almost as much fun as a real troll.

george, i have the feeling that if i looked hard enough, i would find a bunch of threads on some forum somewhere that blasted apple for designing the original imac. i am guessing that you said it was childish and stupid and would never catch on. apple would soon be out of business for investing in such a useless hardware setup. after all, no real computer user would ever go back to a self contained unit. But maybe if apple would make you head of marketing and design, then they would be dominating the world within 3 months. :D :rolleyes:

i am often at a loss as to whether it is your limited english vocabulary or just plain ignorance that continues to make your posts convey a much nastier tone than is reasonable. i have been one of the few not to treat you like a pc troll and i am beginning to think i am just being naive.

perhaps you should join one of our religious discussions in Herve's forum and argue that the world is goin to end soon.

testy, is about time for me to whip out a diagnosis or should i gather more assesment info?;)

Originally posted by RacerX

As the starter of this and the other notorious threads, I think this applies to you more than anyone less. I can think of no better example of anger than to say that something suck, and you are a very angry person in my opinion.

... thanks, racerX, you beat me to it ... :D

I like where this thread is going (hehe), but lets step back a second. A few posts back the complaint was about a sluggish UI in X. Now I may sound naive in saying this, and hell, I may just be naive, but yesterday Quartz Extreme was announced. Now, I would first like to kill the whole "my mac video card can't handle this though" argument, I don't want to discuss that right now. Lets instead think about what Quartz Extreme really means. We've seen a great speed increase in the UI since 10.0. Even as quartz is pretty snappy in 10.1.4 now, don't you people think that it will fly if it's duties are sent to an nvidia or ATI graphics card!?*

* -- only the ones with 32MB of VRAM!!!!! (small joke, hehe)

and by the way, awesome post simone! you've been on a roll these past few days! keep it up...

Ed,

I think iMac was brilliant when it first came out. I thought MacOS X was cool when it first came out as well. Unfortunately, Apple was slow with its development and implementation with the new OS.

People are so emotional around here that they miss my point. Yes, I did complain about the speed of OS X, at one point. But my over statement is not bashing MacOS X, except for its speed. My over statement is how Apple could do better, and it's not.

On other board, I argue against people who think Apple should quit the hardware business and totally become a software company like M$, because I think selling hardware is where Apple could have their R&D expense refunded; hence I spent over 3 grand on my PowerBook G4.

As a hardware-software computer company, Apple has total control, which means it can switch hardware platform, with planned schedule of course, as it seems fit.

PowerPC development hasn't really accelerate since 604e era.
All Apple sells now are marketing hype when it comes to talking about its microprocessors.

The only way for the Mac platform to excel now is to either make MacOS X even faster and more responsive than it is now, so a 1GHz PowerPC G4 would work like a 2GHz Pentium 4, or Apple should consider using a AMD Athlon instead of the PowerPC.

I don't consider Intel product, mainly because I think the company is still in bed with M$.

Anyway,
like I said before, call me anything you want, but it still doesn't change the facts.

And I do like my Macs since most of them are running the Classic OS instead of OS X anyway.

The new OS has a lot to catch up; hence Steve had to bury the Classic because he too is worried about the fact.

Regards,
George Lien

Originally posted by RyanLang
Lets instead think about what Quartz Extreme really means. We've seen a great speed increase in the UI since 10.0. Even as quartz is pretty snappy in 10.1.4 now, don't you people think that it will fly if it's duties are sent to an nvidia or ATI graphics card!?*

* -- only the ones with 32MB of VRAM!!!!! (small joke, hehe)

I totally welcome this sharing the Quartz load with a graphic card--another thing Apple should have done with OS X in the beginning. What's killing me is this requirement is going to give old Mac user another chance to consider a Windows box.

Regards,
George Lien

simX,

I don't need to go to dell.com to buy PCs because I could build my own PCs. I also maintain, upgrade and help people upgrade their Macs as well.

Like I said, Apple is Apple today because it was able to continue do sales with returning customers. While you guys, new customers, are important to Apple, returning customers are actually the reason Apple is still around today.

OS X is not nearly as good as it should be.

Though I refuse to use Windows XP, we will see this imitation of OS X accelerate in no time--simply because there's a larger installment base for that OS!

Regards,
George Lien

Back