Apple quietly changed the SuperDrive speed of PowerBook G4 17"

ddma

The Most Stupid Member
Apple quietly changed the SuperDrive speed of PowerBook G4 17" from write DVD-R at 2x speed down to write DVD-R at 1x speed.

New Specs.
http://a608.g.akamai.net/7/608/51/3...com/powerbook/pdf/PowerBookG417_DS_022003.pdf

Old Specs.
http://a608.g.akamai.net/7/608/51/3...com/powerbook/pdf/PowerBookG417_DS_012003.pdf

PowerBook Tech Specs page has updated to the new specs for PowerBook 17" and the download link is now pointed to the new specs too.
http://www.apple.com/powerbook/specs.html

But the front page of the product is still showing "Write DVD at 2x".
http://www.apple.com/powerbook/index17.html

even though i am gettin a 17inch powerbook. i dont really care about the dvd-r speed because here in Greece i can only find dvds to right at 1x and only up to 4.5 GB :)

DVD-R 1x write a full 4.3GB data in 55 mins.
DVD-R 2x write a full 4.3GB data in 24 mins.

No, no, I didn't mean it :) Just think there is a great different between 1x and 2x write speed. Forgive me I'm stupid :p

yes there is and when im writin DVDs . its 1x is quite annoyin since i can write at 2x
but i think they should focus and stress more on the ACTUALS DVDs. so that we get more 2x dvds over the world. and also 9.4 GB dvds cause up till now i cant find any of those here in greece. and i DO need them :)

also . a 2x dvd drive might have other disadvantages. maybe weight. size. or other problems :)
anyway i dont think there are many notebooks oute there with a superdrive and a 17 inch screen. so im happy :)

Originally posted by stealth
ur point being?
whats the purpose of a having a fast car if u cant go fast ?

I think the point is that DVD writable media will not stay stuck at 1x speed. If the the drive is capable of 2x speed then you can take advantage of the faster media when it becomes available. Pretty obvious to me.

BTW . i know this doest fit in here. but my dad just sent me a case for my iPod. and the control with the head phones that they released last summer (i got my ipod befora that)... the control is really coool :) wowww!!!

BTW . i know this doest fit in here. but my dad just sent me a case for my iPod. and the control with the head phones that they released last summer (i got my ipod befora that)... the control is really coool :) wowww!!!

...son of...

...your father and mother! :D :D :D :D

...the beats.

You are so lucky have a great father who knows what you want!

Weird... Maybe it was originally a typo? If you check the 12" and 15" PowerBook specs, they both write at 1x speed too. However, the 15" reads at 6x while the 12" and 17" both reads at 8x. Maybe it is indeed a newer drive in the 12" and 17" but 2x ready perhaps?

Well, if the 12" and 17" used the same superdrive, they would not have seperated the specs. They would have written this (Model: 12" & 17") and it would also prevent the typo mistakes.

One question: no superdrive can burn 9GB yet, right? Eventhough the medium would be such...

And I heard many times, that the superdrive can burn DVD RWs too. So, what's the point of not calling it DVD-R/RW drive? Because it can't delete the DVD-RW????

No current shipping Apple branded SuperDrives can burn single-sided 9GB DVD-R disks...

But the magic word is Single-sided: In the market (however not here in Greece) exist DOUBLE-sided 9GB DVD-R disks which store 4.7 GB per side...

Now, can I have those disks in the price of the current 4.7 GB single-sided media please? :D :D :D :D :D

Originally posted by hulkaros
..Now, can I have those disks in the price of the current 4.7 GB single-sided media please? ..:D :D :D :D :D

hahahha.. keep on dreamin HULK. :p
i think u and i should move to another country :p no broadband connection. dvds only at 4.5 GBs. expensive macs. expensive DVDs. crappy game support for macs... i wanna get out of here:p

hahahha.. keep on dreamin HULK. :p
i think u and i should move to another country :p no broadband connection. dvds only at 4.5 GBs. expensive macs. expensive DVDs. crappy game support for macs... i wanna get out of here:p

Maybe just maybe, I will move out from Greece! And you know what? Maybe I will go to Sweden! THEY have broadband, MANY Apple stores/shops, an official Apple Store On-Line, whatever I need/imagine about computers, almost excellent health care system and schools (which is MOST important about my future kids :D ) and MANY other things that we lack here in Greece JUST because we were born in the wrong(!?) country... ;)

Anyways, I read that you want to go to England or Sweden: If you go to Sweden let me know so that we will be able to meet there :D :D :D What do you think? :rolleyes:

i think HULK stinks :p bruce banner is gay.

The Matrix has you ! ..

Hulkaros will smash puny Stealth... grrrr!

arrrrrgggggghhhhhhhhhh..... grrrrrrgrrrrrrrrrgrrrrrrrrrrr.... Hulkaros smash!

After couple of punches The Matrix has black eyes and is K.O. out of this planet and into the outer space :D

The Matrix changed its appearance and habbits into The Stealth mode when Hulkaros is near it :D :D :D :D :D

you know... 9.4 gb DVDs are not available...

they are made by pressing... using machines that cost $500,000

That is why you cannot copy a DVD-movie from the video store. Those are made on 9.4s. You can only buy 4.5 size for home use.

if i'm wrong let me know, but I don't think so....

If every drive can read those 9.4GB DVDs, why shouldn't it be possible to burn them too? Isn't it the same to the CDRs???

Back