Apple working on car technology

bbloke

Registered
I came across an article where it is claimed that Apple has been helping Jaguar with controls for their new car, the XF.

Car Magazine said:
CAR: And what about inside?

IAN CALLUM: ‘Step inside and the starter button starts to pulsate like a heartbeat. Press it and the car comes to life. The air vents rise up and the JaguarDrive Selector pops up. We took so much comment on the old J-gate change and felt it was time for a change. The dial takes up less space, too. We have been working with Apple on control interfaces.

‘We wanted it to make a statement that we are moving away from a big slab of wood in the cabin. This is a resulotely modern place to sit, with cool blue accents on the lights, doors and around the JaguarDrive Selector. The dashboard is as low as possible and every model has a leather-trimmed wheel.’

Another page has a photo of the new gear selector and more information about the interior:
Car Magazine said:
Jaguars with gadgets! Whatever next?

Ah yes. CAR Online was the first outlet in the world to scoop Jaguar's new transmission selector. And, yes, it is essentially a gimmick, albeit one that we think will go down well with customers. It works like this.

The JaguarDrive Selector replaces a conventional gearstick. Sitting flush with the centre console, it rises electrically when the ignition is turned on. It's a metallic rotary dial (not dissimilar to BMW's iDrive control) that twists to change gear on the standard six-speed automatic box, rotating easily between P, R, N and D. We've tested it and its action is pleasant and seamless. Importantly, it frees up oodles of extra space on the console. JaguarDrive Selector is standard on every XF and they all come with paddles behind the wheel, too. The change is claimed to be quicker than on the XK sports cars and we reckon buyers will quickly adapt to the new gearlever. It's pretty cool and blessedly simple to operate.

It doesn't end with a novelty gearstick, either. There are proximity interior lights; waft your palm near the cabin lights and they switch on. And the dial lights, door trims and transmission selector have cool blue LEDs built in, casting a modern, technical glow across the cockpit at night.

In addition, MacRumors has an article that alleges Apple are working with Volkswagen on a new car.

Sounds like Apple are continuing to diversify!

They should have seriously started to collaborate with Jaguar already while in Cheetah ... :p

Well, as a long-time Jaguar and Apple fan (I'm currently restoring a 1969 Daimler V8) I can honestly say that I like the sounds of this car. :-D

Diversification or not... Recently, I thought about how Apple's _finally_ making use of OS X' scalability and portability by using it on intel computers as well as handhelds (iPhone, possibly iPod very soon). There was an article on macrumors about that, too, I believe. And I remembered how Apple chose the codenames for Mac OS X (after "Rhapsody", which was still in the line of music, just like Harmony, Tempo, Sonata, Copland, Gershwin etc.) that all had to do with evolution and life etc. I liked that. Specifically: "Carbon", because "life is based on it". ;) Seems like Apple (and Mac OS X) is finding its way into more aspects of our lives. I'm still waiting for a car that, when I sit in, checks my mood and starts the right tunes. ;)

And I remembered how Apple chose the codenames for Mac OS X (after "Rhapsody", which was still in the line of music, just like Harmony, Tempo, Sonata, Copland, Gershwin etc.) that all had to do with evolution and life etc. I liked that. Specifically: "Carbon", because "life is based on it". ;)
Ah, interesting. Darwin, Aqua, Carbon... but then... Cocoa?! ;)
I'm still waiting for a car that, when I sit in, checks my mood and starts the right tunes. ;)
Mmm, but hopefully the visualizer won't display all over the windscreen. Could make driving a bit tricky! :D

Back