AppleInsider in-depth look at Mac mini

symphonix

Scratch & Sniff Committee
Quite an interesting article from AppleInsider:

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=850

Some interesting things to notice are ...

The mini includes Apple's standard Combo drive, but is also the first Macintosh to ship with support for a new breed of SuperDrive that now also supports DVD±R/RW media. It is available as a build-to-order option at the Apple Store.

Really? That's good news!

However, consumers looking to add these options [Airport Extreme and Bluetooth] after purchase will be required to purchase a Mac mini AirPort Extreme & Bluetooth Upgrade Kit, which includes both technologies.

...reportedly running a custom build of Mac OS X 10.3.7 (build 7T21)

Interesting. Probably a build slightly before the release version, specifically made in order to get it onto the mini in time for the launch.

The Mac mini is equipped with a Power Management Unit that controls all power functions for the computer. To resolve a number of system problems, users may need to reset this microcontroller chip. To do so, users must unplug all cables from the computer -- including the power cord -- wait 10 seconds, and then re-plug in the power cord while holding in the power button on the back of the computer.

A different approach to that used traditionally on Macs.

And this one really caught my eye ...

Finally, sources note that the mini's non-standard power connector contains too many leads to serve solely as a power source, and could provide hints of upcoming add-ons, such as a potential iPod dock connector or media station.

Can someone who has recieved their Mac mini please post photos of the power adapter? Are there extra connections? Are they identifiable?

symphonix said:
Can someone who has recieved their Mac mini please post photos of the power adapter? Are there extra connections? Are they identifiable?

It looks sort of like a USB or FireWire connector, and it seems to have 10 pins. I took some pictures but they're all blurry, so use your imagination. :) Here is an older pic I took when I got the Mac last week; you can see the socket for the power plug on the far left of the Mac. http://www.nuclearbunny.org/~chadwick/macmini/IMG_0366.jpg

I wonder how hard it is to install the ram by your self... It looks like you just have to pop off the lid. Unless of course they decided to do it like the iPod and not use screws.

Ten pins doesn't seem all that much for a power connector, considering that the power management unit (PMU) would need to send controlling signals to the power supply, and also that the power supply needs to provide all the required voltages for drives and motherboard and so on. I'd say its a few optimists jumping at nothing.

It could have something to do with the new way of zapping PRAM/resetting NVRAM that the Mac mini uses (unplug, plug in, hold down power button)... no?

From Apple.
All Macintosh computer models currently shipping with a SuperDrive support DVD±R/RW media with iLife '05. Additionally, the following systems will support burning to DVD±R/RW media with iLife '05 and Mac OS X 10.3 Panther:
* All iMac G5 computers with a SuperDrive
* Mac mini (configured with optional SuperDrive)
* iMac (17-inch 1.25GHz Flat Panel)
* iMac (20-inch 1.25GHz Flat Panel)
* eMac 1.0GHz with a 4x SuperDrive
* eMac 1.25GHz with a SuperDrive
* All Power Mac G5 computers with a SuperDrive
* All iBook G4 computers with a SuperDrive
* PowerBook G4 (12-inch 1.33GHz) with a SuperDrive
* PowerBook G4 (15-inch 1.33GHz) with a SuperDrive
* PowerBook G4 (15-inch 1.5GHz) with a SuperDrive
* PowerBook G4 (17-inch 1.5GHz)

So the Mini isn't the first :) it's just that we weren't told and one needs iLife'05.
I would like a Mac mini ~ I don't need a Mac mini....................

Back