Are old macs worth it

huck

Registered
My school is throwing away old Macs (Quarda 700, 650, Powerbook 180, 190 and some SE's). Are these worth keeping, do they have any value?

Peace.

Ver

They have some value, possibly, depending on your position. We used to have a Mac II where I used to work which did menial tasks like imaging non-urgent artwork. This is going back a few years and it was already out of date then. These are very old machines tho, so unless you are in a position like that, you might as well not bother. They'll not be much use for day to day work (altho I was talking to some Russian people the other day and they were all using Quadra 700s as their main machines and servers and whotnot - the conversation was veeerrryyyy ssslloooowwww). If you can get one in pristine condition, it might be worth keeping it as an antique, but for day to day stuff, go for something newer. Remember that they won't run new OSes and so you'll need older software in most cases too.

At the very least, grab them and put them on eBay. There are all sorts of old-school MacAddicts (like me), who would LOVE an old machine to tinker with.

"One man's trash is another man's treasure."

Don't trash good Macs. :)

Did you know that there are schools that are still using those oldies? I work at a school that still have LCII's that are still cranking and very well, I might add.

If you want, you could donate them to me. I am the computer resource. Of course you would need to be near Chicago, IL for me to pick them up.

You also can donate them through the MacTreasures web site.<www.mactreasures.com> Schools in need are registered there and you will be matched with someone in your area.

Those computers are still working machines. Don't throw them out.

There's a Quadra on ebay with "monitor, printer and more" for $10 so if you can get enough, you could make a bit of cash. Interestingly, a CD kit for the same computer is on there for $20!

You never know what you can do with them in the future. And it will be a shame to retire working Macs.

Two words.....beowulf cluster. *laughs* Get enough of them together and pump out those gigaflops!

Sell them to Nasa....heck, they hunting high and low for 8086 cpus for their spaceshuttles! *laughs*

Ooh! ooh! Remember The PowerBook 520 and 540 (codename BlackBird).... those were the first sexy PowerBooks... a design years ahead of its time.... I'd love to find one of those.

I have a Powerbook 540c with new pram a new network adapter aui or something to ethernet.... anyone interested ill ship it your way(for $$ of course), only thing is the hard drive won't mount :\

Originally posted by huck
Would you like them?

Certainly, but I assume shipping them to Norway would cost way too much... Or maybe ground shipping wouldn't be too expensive?...

Back