Attn: 17" Pbook Owners, 17" vs. 12" Heat Issue

skidaniel

Registered
So we all know that the 12" Powerbook generates alot of heat, some us us feel that it varies from "Ahh, its fine." to "Holy freakin crap its hot!". I am curious to ask some of the 17" Powerbook owners how they feel the heat is on their laptops. Do you notice it during regular use? Everytime I pick up a 12" I notice it. It doesnt really bother me, but I notice the 12" being hotter than any other laptop I have ever used. How does the 17" compare?

Thanks for your input, I am deciding between going for the 17", or waiting (for who knows how much longer) for the 15" to get updated to the Aluminum style.

Also...

Aside from the graphics cards, (15" Pbook, ATI Radeon 9000, 17" Pbook Geforce Go 440), does the 17" Pbook have any better performance than the 15" in terms of speed/real world computer usage? I am aware of the feature differences, but it seems to me that they should have about the same performance. Is this true? Please feel free to rant and/or rave...

Originally posted by skidaniel
So we all know that the 12" Powerbook generates alot of heat, some us us feel that it varies from "Ahh, its fine." to "Holy freakin crap its hot!". I am curious to ask some of the 17" Powerbook owners how they feel the heat is on their laptops. Do you notice it during regular use? Everytime I pick up a 12" I notice it. It doesnt really bother me, but I notice the 12" being hotter than any other laptop I have ever used. How does the 17" compare?

Thanks for your input, I am deciding between going for the 17", or waiting (for who knows how much longer) for the 15" to get updated to the Aluminum style.

Also...

Aside from the graphics cards, (15" Pbook, ATI Radeon 9000, 17" Pbook Geforce Go 440), does the 17" Pbook have any better performance than the 15" in terms of speed/real world computer usage? I am aware of the feature differences, but it seems to me that they should have about the same performance. Is this true? Please feel free to rant and/or rave...

The performance in general is about the same... Still, there are some differences here and there where 15" is faster than 17" (although by faster I mean a couple seconds at the most) and vise versa...

However, if you consider about Airport Extreme and FireWire800 plus the built in Bluetooth the 17" becomes a lot faster when it is time to use WiFi networks or external devices than the 15"... And if you need all that extra screen space you got to have the 17" :p :D ;) :)

As for the heat problem the 17" to me is more like 15" in that area... Which means that it isn't hot like the 12" PB but still it ain't an iBook :rolleyes:

I'm perfectly happy with my 15". The heat is ok, nowhere close to too hot. It does everything really fast (AAC encoding at 12x or more for example (when I'm not doing too much)). FireWire 1 is ok, I don't have a videocamera that supports 800Mbit ... and why bother using that for a camera when your HD isn't anywhere near as fast. The only reason I see for getting FireWire 2 is for a different and bigger HD ...

Airport Extreme, well, I still don't trust wireless networking. I heard too much bad stuff from it (from Mac and Win people alike)

Grtz,
.anerki

Just to say something nice about wireless networking: I've had no problems at all in setting up a WiFi network at home with an Apple AirPort and connecting various OS X boxes, Linux boxes (a Zaurus amongst others), Windoze PCs (a mate's laptop) and even PocketPCs (the Toshiba one, I believe).
But I'm not too big on WiFi security - I live out in the sticks and you'd have to sneak onto my property first to compromise it - plus I wouldn't even mind people surfing on my WiFi, as I've got a flatrate BB connection.

C

PS - sorry! I do realise that was a bit off-topic. I was reading here coz I'm interested in getting a 17", but I'd also heard about the heat issue. Plus I want to wait and see whether Apple is going to release a 970 based PB in the 'near' future. Its my understanding that processor consumes less power --> hence also produces less heat. Hrm.

C

the heat is not bad at all. It gets very warm but not anywhere near "too hot". If you use it on your lap while being naked, then it might get too warm to some people. They've done a great job with the heat issue. The fan is also very quiet.

Also, it is very fast. The interface is now as fast as OS 9. It has a 64 MB Geforce 4 MX 440 go card and quartz extreme. The interface is smooth as butter, everything's snappy and fast.

This is the best laptop in the world, I believe, at this time.

I ve used a lot of laptops.Bealive me pb17 and my IBM p4m runs nearly in the same heat range it s no hot its warm (Also i am using a Targus coolpad with both of them its a little short for pb but enough to tolarete a scape under it)

I have the 17, actually Im on it as we speak...It is hot as hell. Thats for sure, but not enough to deter you from anything. I use it on my lap quite often and it gets warm at times, but its not a cup of McDonalds coffee. Basically, its not that serious.

Back