Bad RAM? Help!

mindbend

Registered
I think I have a bad memory situation, but I'm not sure. All of a sudden, out of nowhere, OS X 10.2.3 has frozen, kernel pacnicked or otherwise crashed consistently.

The panic screen says "Exception Error" and has several lines of code stuff.

At the bottom it says something like "Memory Access Error", then shows my IP address and some other info. I may have some of the words wrong, but I think that's about right.

I'm trying to run a UNIX memory tester thing now, but I was wondering if there were better tools (easier tools). I have two 512 RAM chips.

Also, I was wondering if those error messages indicated something other than RAM.

I have run Apple's Disk Utility with success, but it didn't solve the problem. I have also run Antivirus sftware and it claimed no errors.

I had problems with a 512 chip i bought, i simply placed it in slot 4, and moved the ram that came with my computer to the front. The system at startup stores a lot of important things in that first 64mb of ra(or more). So by doing that, i hardly ever have crashes, the systems runs GREAT, I mean good, knock on wood. There is a memory checker that you will have to run in 9 that is free, i forget the name though. Check version tracker for Dimm checker or something. I also replaced my hard drive that came with my system, which is faster and helped overclock my CPU to about a 500mhz G4, according to Norton system profiler.

Most RAM comes with a lifetime warrantee now, so if it turns out to be a RAM issue then by all means trade it in.

Yea, but sometimes it''s just the chip itself, I had a few do the same, not sure why, the chip always tested fine, just didn't like slot one for whatever reason.

Just so you know, I think I found the problem. It turns out the stock AGP card had been crushed up against the stash of hard drives and cables and had evenutally broken off one of its capacitors.

Strangely, I replaced it with an identical one and it still didn't work. Howver, I then did a full HD wipe and reinstall and everything's good now, but through a PCI graphics card. I haven't yet tried a new AGP card. I hope my AGP bus isn't fried!

Back