Before I install Panther..

isolder

Registered
I just reformatted my drive and made two partitions (one for system and the other for everything else).

I did two partitions so I could do a clean install of Panther when I get it on System.

I intend to eventually migrate the Users and Applications folders over to the everything else partition, but am wondering if I should wait until I have Panther installed to do that?

Any opinions? I've never done a user migration before so I don't really know if I should wait until Panther has everything put in..

I personally think you only need one partition. As far as sparating it so you can do reformats you really don't need to worry about that since you can always do an archive and install. Just make sure you run some disk utilities like cocktail and you repair permissions often and you should be ok.

I find that the system doesn't really like having the users folder off the main drive.

I would have to second that. There's really no reason to move your home folder and applications folder off of the main drive unless you know you'll need to do this for some reason, and unless you really know what you're doing, it can cause things like Software Update to run amok and not work properly.

Got to agree, one partition.
I can see installing OS 9 on a different partition, or using a second partition to clone your main partition for backup, but a backup really should be on a completely different drive to be reliable, or a CD/DVD.

I actually disagree, though I can see where you're coming from. For me, I have Panther installed on a smaller partition and I save everything onto the 'everything else' partition. This way when I move files around it won't be slowing down the partition with the OS, therefore my OS won't slow down. Also, having a Panther on one partition and Jaguar on the 'everything else' partition I can reboot into Jaguar and defrag my Panther partition and then in Panther defrag my Jaguar partition. This way everything runs smoothly, and we all know that in Drive 10 you can't defrag a volume (or run any other decent tests and repairs on) a volume you're currently booted from.

Isn't Drive 10 a bootable CD? If so, no need to run from another partition.
I don't install Utilities on my machines, I always run off the CD.
Defragging is built into Panther, and supposedly not necessary in OS X.

If you have Panther on one partition and Jaguar on another, and the one with Jag has the apps you use while booted in Panther, sooner or later you're going to have problems, and yes, doing it this way, will slow down panther.

Back