benefit of making powerbook sleep?

Convert

Tech
Hey what's the benefit of making the powerbook sleep? Apart from being able to use Mac OS X straight away.

Tha

If "being able to use Mac OS X straight away" also means to have all documents and applications ready, window arrangements like before... None, beside the frequently dimming light, I would say. ;)
It actually slightly drains the battery since the ram memory is still powered.
But now that I am thinking a bit more about it: it also provides you wake on event functions. Supposed you use your also as a fax, you can put it to sleep and it will wake up on a ring and receive your fax. After that it could go back to sleep again.

bobw said:
Running on battery, the benefit would be to conserve power.
but surely switching off the machine would be better?

I probably explained it poorly, but I don't jsut mean the auto-sleep, I mean actually putting the machine to sleep.
Clicking the apple menu, and clicking sleep.

I never put the computers to sleep, when possible. Nor do I shut them down.
So just open Keychain Access (Applications > Utilities folder) and make the keychain lock show on menubar. When you go out of computer, active the screensaver, or just lock the screen.
I've got as settings in the Energy Saver (S. Preferences) something like put screen to sleep when computer is inactive for 5-15 mins (which ever is most useful for what I'm doing), and NEVER put hard drive to sleep.
So - come to your computer in the morning, click, type your password, click you are in. :)

Advantage to putting to sleep - if you have to use badly written programmes such as M$ Office, there are less likely zombies running ... and just faster. Waking up from sleep is too slow for me.

Currently using this .. on 2 Macs at work, and home Powerbook. :D

Convert said:
Hey what's the benefit of making the powerbook sleep? Apart from being able to use Mac OS X straight away.

Tha

To annoy the hell out of me when i forget to close a VPN connection and unmount network volumes causing me to wait 10 min for them to timeout...

But... thats my prob :)

i have been wonderingh about this as well. i am a student, and need to be able to pull my laptop out quickly and start taking notes and such. currently, im on a windowz machine, and use the hibernate function, this is nice, because i can open up a blank document window before school, put it in hibernate, and then open it up to have word waiting for me. id say i have te time frame of about 1.5 minutes to be ready to take notes. ive heard of people having bad experiances with keeping their 'books in sleep, and having to replace the battery because of battery drain. what options do i have

I've found no problems with sleep and Apple notebooks have the best sleep function available. They sleep pretty much instantly and wake up in about a second. Battery drain is minimal as well, so I've got no complaints there.

Same as Viro here. I never shutdown the tibook. Only from time to time there is a restart needed, but that's it. All the remaining time: 3secs for the mac to enter the sleep mode and actually 1sec to wake up. I love it! It's always a surprise for the pc ppl, how fast my laptop is ready for work. About the battery drain:
my ibook was on 100% before I went to Croatia for 2 weeks. After 2 weeks I still had 87%.

the ibook has awesome sleeping skillz. I rarely turn mine off, just sleep. Opne, close, open, close. Instantly, its the best.

Ok, I admit. I *do* use the sleep mode when I need to e.g. fly. So it is significantly faster to open the 'Book in hte plane from sleep than starting it from zero ..

My iBook is almost allways asleep and is ready to jump back into action in about 1-2 seconds. I've never found this to be a problem. Battery usage while in sleep is so low that I can leave it asleep for several days without a problem.

im not talking so much battery drain during sleep, but the effects of sleep on the battery on a long term scale. my teacher used to put her ibook on sleep all the time, but over time, the battery capacity went down. anyone heard of anything like this?

DanTekGeek said:
im not talking so much battery drain during sleep, but the effects of sleep on the battery on a long term scale. my teacher used to put her ibook on sleep all the time, but over time, the battery capacity went down. anyone heard of anything like this?
It has less to do with putting the book into sleep mode but a general thing about the batteries that after some time the battery capacity goes down. This kind of aging is irreversible. However, what mostly seems to be the case is that ppl do not treat their batteries well. They charge it when the battery is not completely empty and don't even let it fully charge. The response of the battery and the PMU: lower battery duration. In that case you should recalibrate the battery by resetting the PMU and letting the battery drain to the last drop (which should be done in the single user mode since there are no powersaving services active) and charge it over the night. Et voila, the battery duration should be renewed.
So, don't worry to put your book into sleep mode. Just make sure to treat your battery nice.

I have to agree with Zammy on that, and the other problem I've seen is just the opposite. People treating there book like a desktop, always plugged in. A friend of mine did that for a couple of years with his clamshell, always sitting on the desk, plugged in. Then when he finally did take it somewhere, the battery would only last for a short time. I had to laugh at him (ya, I'm mean sometimes), he had basically brand new battery (new really used) and it was shot.

When I am not using the Powerbook with the battery for longer time - e.g. when I know I'll be using it only at home for longer time, I remove the battery and store it separately ..

The large battery use he referred to with shutting down/restarting is the degree that the boot uses the HDD and processor (and thus, the battery). I think, from memory, that part of the kernel is actually compressed, so that's a fair bit of energy to go to each time you want to use it.

Plus Mac OS X boot time is pretty horrendous - it's like a Linux system. Bleargh.

I've left my PowerBook unpowered on sleep overnight and lost all of about five percent battery by the time I turned it back on the next day at Uni.

Back