Best DSL provider? (USA only)

gollum84

goonies never say die
I recently got a friend to switch and now she's looking for a dsl provider. On her PC she was using dial-up from Juno. She is on a tight budget, so I am trying to find her a good provider at a cheap price, and trying not to go with a provider that only lets you connect to the net with their own software. With Juno she had to use their browser, but I found a work around so that she could use Safari. Most of the lowest cost ones I found were $14.99/mo for the first 6 months, but after that it sky rocketed to $39.99/mo.

She may also be limited by what's available in her area -- for example, the only DSL service you can get in San Antonio is from SBC/AT&T... Earthlink and other companies can't get you service here, so there's really only one choice: DSL or no DSL?

I, for one, am extremely pleased with SBC's DSL service here in Texas. It's never gone out on me, they don't care what I do with the line (Run a server? No problem. Gaming? No problem. Downloading huge files for weeks at a time? No problem.) I pay $36/month for a 3mb/512k service, which is plenty fast for most uses.

It would be best to check and see what's available in the area, as I suspect you'll be severely limited in your choice depending on where you are.

I almost answered "bluewin.ch", but then noticed that you probably didn't mean "bar none in all the world". ;) ... (Besides, I don't think bluewin's best, anyway...) Added (USA only) to the thread's title to make it a bit more clear.

I just need a Question Answered on Qwest DSL Service for a friend in Prescott AZ. I spent considerable time & L.D. Phone calls getting my friend to give-up on his XP PC & go with Mac. He finally did so with a iMac plus Tiger. He wants DSL & Qwest has a $24.99 1 year offer without having to upgrade his residential service. But the Qwest 1-800--CSRs keep telling him that MSN won't work with Mac, or it will cost extra, or why would we care about MSN anyway, Just want DSL service to existing Qwest PhoneLine & not pay an arm & a Leg for it.
I have the $15.00 monthly 796kbs from Verizon and was no problems, and had no If-s, And-s or but-s activating to my Panther 10.3.9 eMac. Any Comments or Experiences with Qwest DSL & Mac OS X would be appreciated. Thanks jellison

Back