Bluetooth Headset with iChat AV

dixonbm

Registered
Ok is it possible to use a bluetooth headset used with a cell phone with iChat AV assuming the computer is bluetooth enabled?

What do you guys think? Anyone tried?

Nope, doesn't work. Apple hasn't provided a "headset profile", which means Mac computers won't be able to handle headsets. Yet. Maybe in the release version of Panther.

If they include a headset profile, any Bluetooth headset will work.

Mind you, you can already detect the headset, and you can pair your computer with it, but it won't show up as a sound source or sound output device. The computer and the headset will talk to each other, but none of them will understand the other.

And yes, I've tried.

Some guy at the Panther party here in Nashville told me it worked, but I seriously doubt it. I haven't seen anything else on it.

That would be awesome! What does the sound off a bluetooth headset sound like? Is there a lot of quality, or not?

Voice quality is good till the battery starts going dead and then the other party has trouble hearing you. My father has the HBH-60 Ericsson. I like it alot. But it's not worth the price.

dixonbm said:
Some guy at the Panther party here in Nashville told me it worked, but I seriously doubt it. I haven't seen anything else on it.

Nope, doesn't work yet. Audio devices for bluetooth use the SCO protocol of bluetooth, which is not yet supported on OS X. There have been people asking about it on the bluetooth developers list for quite some time, it's on Apple's list or things they want to add, but I don't think it's very high on it.

Brian

Orangemicro offers a Bluetooth headset and on their webpage they mention that Mac OS X support is expected late 2003. I sent them an e-mail and here is the reply: "Our headset will work on a Mac but only when Apple releases it's Bluetooth drivers for OSX 'late this year'. So, we're waiting."

Well, we are too. C'mon, Apple! What's the hold-up?! Isn't it late enough?

Well, Apple finally released a Bluetooth update that supposingly makes the Macs compatible to bluetooth headsets. Has anybody tried it? What Bluetooth headset is recommended?

Back