bluetooth + t68i -> incoming calls?

boi

official breaker of macs.
for some crazy reason i was under the impression that my mac was supposed to do something when i got a call on my bluetooth enabled phone.
i dunno... the person's address book entry pop up or something like that. did i dream this?

You did not dream this open up your address book when you have paired your mobile and mac you will notice a new button in the top left hand corner of the Address book click on it and it will activate Bluetooth support in the Address book.

When you get phone calls or Text Messages you will get a popup window.

StarBuck

Note that once you have activated bluetooth in the address book, you must keep the address book open to get the caller id. You can either leave the window open behind other windows or minimize to the dock. The address book behaves the same way the old ical did - if you close the window, the app quits. The revised ical lets you close the window and the app stays open so that you still get alarms and notifications. Maybe the next rev. of the address book will be updated to work this way.

Because the address book has to stay open, and I minimize to the dock, I have actually begun to use it as command central for communication. Whether I want to email someone or call them, I start with the address book to dial the phone or start the email - it's pretty handy. Note that you will also get sms notification onscreen & can send sms from the address book (addicting, but can get expensive depending on your plan).

One other thing - the address book remembers its last state, so if you close the app before you turn off the phone or remove the usb bluetooth, it will open up looking to pair with the phone again. If you cut the bluetooth connection before quitting, then you will have to manually click the blutooth button the next time you open up.

hmm, longer than i thought - poss. not enough coffee yet
cheers,

tibook 667DVI, 768meg, 30G, osX 10.2.3 d-link b-tooth, T39m

Man, this is really really cool! I can even reply to and originate SMS messages with this. But, as always, there's a couple of catches:

First, I was doing this with my iBook and the Belkin USB BT adaptor, and I noticed that I was having a great deal of difficulty with websites loading very slowly or not at all. Pretty soon Mail started complaining about time-outs, etc. too.

After a bit of troubleshooting, it seems that the proximity of the BT adaptor to the iBook was a contributing factor - the closer it was, the worse the problem. It would seem that it was interfering with the 802.11 wireless on the iBook. I was doing a large download, and it was popping along at around 3KB/sec and as soon as I turned off the Address book integration, it jumped up to 60KB/sec (normal for me). If I put the adaptor on an extention cord, getting it away from the iBook, the problem was still there, but tolerable.

The Belkin adaptor has multiple power output settings that the Windows client allows you to change, but the Apple drivers don't seem to know about this, so it runs at full-power all the time, apparently.

Second, does anyone know what this does to the standby time on the phone? I assume that maintianing an active connection (the phone indicates this as well as the computer) the whole time affects this. Any idea about how much?

I have not had the same issues with airport interference, although I know that they are possible due to the sharing of the same radio spectrum for both bluetooth and 802.11b. Articles I have read suggest that airport shares well, but bluetooth has no regard for whether a frequency is already used.

On the subject of the phone - mine has a 4-5 day standby time and bluetooth pairing with the computer takes that down to 2 full business days. But the benefits out weigh that by a long shot & were I to use on the road, would not have as great an impact as I just turn bluetooth off on the phone if I am not using it. Interestingly - bluetooth does not have a huge impact on the battery life of the tiBook when I am using it at a pub or restaurant. Maybe a little more than the usb flylight that i have, but not much.

cheers

I was thinking that maybe changing channels on the airport connection might get it out of the BT adaptor's way. More experimentation is needed, for sure.

I didn't expect that it would reduce the phone's standby time by more than half, though. That's a bit of a surprise, but I agree - the benefits seem to be there. I'm also seeing little-to-no impact on the iBook's battery life as a result of all this though.

Back