Book or Website ?? For Commands??

get the oreilly (sp?) book, "unix in a nutshell." very informative with a long list of commands with descriptions on how to use them. it also goes over many of the unix text editors like emacs and vi. but nothing is as helpfull as the man pages for commands. ..

My 2 cents - I have the O'Riley book too, but it is a little overwhelming for me. It is basically a large index of every command in the universe - very useful no doubt. For a beginner like me, I have had a lot of fun with Unix Visual Quickstart Guide by Deborah and Eric Ray by Peachpit Press.

It is great because it runs you through various exercises and examples starting with navigation, file management, shell scripts... and before you know it, you can understand some of what these OS X Unix Gods are talking about!

Amazon has a used one for $11.00. With computer related book prices being what they are these days, seems like a deal to me!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...43014/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_6_1/103-5062353-5537428

Good luck!

:D Thanks for the replys I'll put both books on my Christmas list, and if I don't get one or the other....I'll buy one!! Thanks:)

Back