Booting into OS 9

Hello.
As we all know, the vast majority of Apple's new computers cannot boot into OS 9. I was wondering however, is that because Apple does not supply the OS 9 installer, or do the new computers totally not recognize OS 9? I ask this because I was wanting to know if I purchased a new computer, could I just buy an old Mac OS 9 installer disc and install it anyways?

Thanks, and I sincerly apologize if this question has been asked before... I could not find anything while searching the forums.

You can always install OS 9, and you actually have to in order to use Classic mode. But all the computers sold in 2003 except the eMac are unable to recognize OS 9 as a bootable system. Apple disabled something to disallow booting in OS 9.

Don't apologize for asking a question unless it's been answered time and again! We always welcome new questions.

Apple offers G4s that boot into Mac OS 9 right now.

This Link might take you there unless it's a session-based thing. In any case go to the Apple Store site and you'll see a link for G4 "Supports both Mac OS X and Mac OS 9."

Session based.

And AFAIK the only G4-based computers that boot into OS 9 are the eMacs, because many educational, um, "venues" still use 9-only software.

Thanks everyone. I wish they'd have an option for the new G5s to boot into OS 9... but I'm not going to be able to afford a G5 for quite some time anyway so I suppose that doesn't matter for me... I guess I'll get G4 Tower.

Thanks.

That would completely defeat the purpose of forcing OS X on us. But it would be nice.

Back