Broadband Optimizer settings...

steven_lufc

Registered
Hi
I am a mac novice but have been trying to tweak the settings in 'broadband optimizer' in the terminal as explained in the readme.
Broadband optimizer works great for me but thought I might try to improve it, but haven't had any luck. I have been randomly picking 5 digit numbers because I don't fully understand what the numbers are.
Has anybody else out there managed to tweak BO to their advantage and what setting did they use??
OSX v10.2.4

while i used BBO with 10.1.5, i now use 'Maintain" for this and a lot of other stuff. i don't know what the numbers mean wither, but i've been getting good results with the 'auto speed up' choice.

Thanks.
I'm going to give maintain a try.
Do i need to remove BBO and return the settings to the default before i do, or will it over ride BBO.

i'm pretty sure it overrides as i've never yanked BBO. but it probably would be a good idea for both of us to pull it as it really isn't doing anything anymore i would think.

oh, and maintain does have the option for more specified settings. it lets you change numbers in terms of doubling or tripling, etc.

Sorry if I'm being obvious, but the numbers that BBO sets seem to me to be network flow control buffer sizes, in bytes.

What BBO seems to do is increase the size of various buffers so that the computer can spend less wasted slow time writing the buffer to the hard disk, or whatever it's doing with it, and more time actually receiving and sending the data.

He's probably played around with various numbers, or talked with system providers to see what buffer sizes work best with broadband connections.

It doubles (from the default) the send and receive buffers for TCP and UDP (receive).

Interesting idea. By the way Ed, I wasn't able to find Maintain on VersionTracker, is that the app name or is that a Jag panel (don't have Jag yet, 4 days and counting! :cool: )

It sounds like you are trying to maximize your packet size. Set your numbers to 65536, because if what I think you're doing is correct, this is the maximum packet size. Also see the cover feature in the Oct. 2002 issue of Mac Addict.

Back