Bryce 5 in 10.4 - file dialogs not visible.

brianleahy

Colonel Panic
I just noticed last night that when running Bryce 5 in Tiger, the File Open and File Save dialogs don't appear onscreen, though the are definitely running.

If you command-tab to another app, you can sometimes see the open and save dialogs for Bryce, but if you click on them, the Bryce GUI covers them up.

Incidentally, if you want to see something REALLY wacky, trigger Expose while Bryce is in front.

Thank God!! Someone else is having this problem. I thought I was insane. Is there any way around it? I can't load or save anything. Obviously no noe has posted a solution yet.

Bud

Well, you can still open Bryce files by double-clicking them in Finder, at least.

And the Save As dialog still responds to the enter key, at least - so presumably you can still type blind.

Hopefully the Bryce people will release a patch soon.

Incidentally, my "track ball" controls are also behaving screwy in 10.4 - for instance, if I try to drag the 'sun ball' to set the sun's angle, it spins wildly. That could also be my wireless mouse though. Do you have this problem?

I hadn't noticed, but I'll check. Let me try those suggestions. The problem with doing it that way is I also can't load texture maps or bitmap images to apply to terrains and so forth.

Bud

OK. As to the sun control, no, I'm not having any problem, either with my touchpad or optical mouse (not wireless).

I can double click to open a file, but when I try to save its like the dialog isn't "active" or selected, so it ignores my input. I can't even see the dialogs until I Expose, click on the finder, then click on one of the off screen Bryce windows. Then Bryce comes back with the "dead" File dialog at the front, but hides it as soon as I click on anything.

As to a patch, I wouldn't count on it. I would expect DAZ to try to sell you the 5.5 version before working up a patch for 5 (which was from Corel).

I think we're screwed.

Bud

FYI: I emailed DAZ to ask them if version 5.5 corrected this bug. Here's the reply:

Hi Brian,

Unfortunately, Bryce 5.0 is so old, that with the numerous changes done to the Tiger operating system, it no longer works consistently. We've only just received the API for Tiger, so are now working on a patch for Bryce 5.5 to have it work consistently with Tiger.
Bryce 5.0 will not be updated for Tiger at this time.

So I'd say you're right. :(

I found that if you don't want to upgrade just yet, if you do a "get info" on the Bryce 5 app, and then click "open in classic" it works fine (except for the use of classic!)

Siddie.

Back