Cable internet -Mac vs. PC

m1n1macker

Registered
Hi.
Looking for some help in trying to figure out why my mac is running 1/2 the downloading speed of the PC. Currently using speakeasy.net, I am getting ~4800 kb/s for the PC but the mini mac is only reaching ~2200 kb/s. I've also tried other speed testing sites with the same results. I read on some other thread that java on the macs are slow, but this doesn't seem to be the case.

I've limited all variables by routing the main (suite) cable line into the cable modem then ,with no breaks in a RJ45, straight into each system separately and tested the DL speed. The mac is always half the speed of the PC?

This is very strange. Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Chris.

I have this exact same problem! I have been searching around and finally someone else that this is happening to!

I just upgraded to Shaw Extreme which is 7Mbps down and 1Mbps up. With my Windows XP machine on same network as OS X I get in the range of 6500kbps up and 930kbps down using Speakeasy test, with slight variations each time I test of course. On OS X I usually get under 2000kps down and 930kbps up. I have tried both on my PowerBook G4 and PowerMac dual 2.7Ghz and I get the same slow download results. I have downloaded several optimizers and even tried manually tweaking the tcp/ip settings and I get no better results. I can transfer files to/from my Linux server on LAN at gigabit speeds so I do not suspect hardware at all.

I have suspected that java could be the reason because Speakeasy uses a java app. All other speedtests I find don't provide as fast as Speakeasy even on Windows XP.

If you find anymore info, or solve this problem then please follow-up!

I have shaw high speed in Vancouver.
From another forum I've had these replys, which still doesn't seem to fix the problem:

Have you tried turning off the IPV6 setting?

and

I did not see any real solution but one that sounded positive is to check your mac mini network settings. In particular check if your mac mini is set to 100TX Full Duplex which sounds reasonable enough to me that could be causing the problem since I had a similiar problem on a Windows machine.

Do you know what this 100TX full duplex setting is supposed to be?

Also have you emailed shaw with our problem? Maybe it is shaw network thing which they probably will not disclose?

In the Network PreferencePane.Show Built-in-Ethernet - Ethernet tab

set to Configure- manually
Speed - 100baseTX
Duplex - full-duplex

and see if that helps.

And as mentioned above, try turning off IPv^

Doing this gave me the same speed as my PC.

Back