Can I export all mailboxes and settings to iPhone?

Matsaki

Registered
I don't know if this is the right thread, but it was the closest I could find.

I have problems with my settings configuring the SMTP server on my iPhone 2G.
So I was wondering if it's possible to delete all the email accounts on the iPhone, and the through MobileMe get my computers email accounts with settings and all email synced over to the iPhone?

Now when I sync through MobileMe, nothing is happening with the email accounts?

Thanks!

Well it's been some time since I had 10.5.x so I will try. In 10.6 I can click on System Preferences->MobileMe pane then hit the Advanced button. See if you can reset the sync data and re-upload the your system files to MobileMe. This might help.

I have problems with my settings configuring the SMTP server on my iPhone 2G.
So I was wondering if it's possible to delete all the email accounts on the iPhone, and the through MobileMe get my computers email accounts with settings and all email synced over to the iPhone?

Now when I sync through MobileMe, nothing is happening with the email accounts?

Thanks!
I'm not understanding your problem. Your iPhone is properly synced using iTunes. If your accounts are properly configured in Mail (or Outlook Express on Windows), then they will be properly configured after you sync your iPhone in iTunes.

Long story short, there is no need to delete anything:
  • Make sure that everything is properly configured on your computer.
  • Launch System Preferences and click the MobileMe tab.
  • Click the Sync tab and check everything that you want synced.
  • Enable autosyncing if that is your choice or manual syncing if that is your preference.
  • Connect your iPhone to your computer. iTunes should launch automatically.
  • Select everything that you want to sync and then sync your iPhone.
Everything on your iPhone that can be configured should now be configured. You contacts, appointments, Safari bookmarks, and such like should now remain in synchronization.

Yes I do all that. But the sync never touch the mail settings etc. Just the calender, addressbook etc. And I have email accounts and email sync checked in MobileMe.

Can I delete all mail accounts I have on the phone now, and then klick "reset" and the MobileMe will transfer them over and sync the setting?

There is no "MobileMe" setting in iTunes for syncing your email accounts to your phone. You do not use anything in the "MobileMe" System Preference pane to change syncing preferences for your iPhone -- you use iTunes and solely iTunes to manage all data that gets synced to your iPhone, including which Mail accounts get synced.

Of course, if you wish to have your Mail accounts synced to the phone, they must be enabled in the MobileMe preference pane, but that's not where you set up the phone to sync your Mail accounts.

Connect your phone to your computer, then launch iTunes. Click on your phone icon in the left-hand sidebar, then click the "Info" tab at the top of the iTunes window (between Summary and Apps tabs).

On the "Info" tab, ensure that "Sync Mail Accounts" is checked. Then, sync your phone. If you wish to ensure that the Mail accounts on your computer are synced to your iPhone cleanly, also enable the "Mail Accounts" checkbox under the "Advanced" section -- this will remove all Mail accounts from your iPhone and replace them with the Mail accounts from your computer.

Thanks for the good info. The mail syncing is working now. But I still can't send email.

"The server rejected on of the recipient's addresses. The message has been placed in your Outbox"

I tried to send to my gmail account and my me.com account with the same error?!?

Last edited:
Thanks for the good info. The mail syncing is working now. But I still can't send email.

"The server rejected on of the recipient's addresses. The message has been placed in your Outbox"

I tried to send to my gmail account and my me.com account with the same error?!?
This is not an iPhone issue, per se. It is an issue with your SMTP server on a foreign domain. The is the bane of the existence of users of portable computers and smart phones. One SMTP server that is guaranteed to work is your cell provider's SMTP server. You should have the email account from your cell provider setup on your computer and your iPhone. The iPhone is actually better than the Mac at falling through your various SMTP servers until it finds one that will relay your messages.

There several ways to setup access to your other SMTP servers that allow them to relay messages from foreign domains. Search this forum on SMTP to locate posts that give you the proper port settings.

Back