Can not move file to the trash

CBello

Registered
I have a new MAC with Leopard 10.5.
I attached a western digital external disk which has 4 partions. In one of the partitions I copied from my MS PC various documents.

I now want to delete them by sending them to the trash. when i move them there, nothing happens as they still remain on the disk. All docs are with the read/write permission. I'm the only user and the docs were placed there with the same user profile that now wants to get rid of them.

I also downloaded the TRASHiT software, but the files and folder still do not get moved/killed.

What else can I do? I would like to avoid the easy way out which I would presume would be to format the disk again...

Many thanks in advance for the support you may offer

Carlos

Create a new user, doesn't matter what conditiions are applied to the account. Move the files/folders to the trash in the new user. Log out of that user, then switch back to your main user, and delete the account in question. Make sure you select DELETE IMMEDIATELY to actually remove the files properly, else they will spawn back.

-Danijel

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a very similar problem. Brand new imac w/ leopard. Moved docs, pics, and mp3s from my old windows laptop HD to the mac desktop via usb cable. Succeeded in transfering about 15 gigs worth of files.

I wanted to reorganize my docs, pics, and music. Each category was in its own folder on my desktop. Started with the "Docs folder", successfully moved the docs to the standard "documents" folder in finder under "my name" account. Then successfully sent some docs to the trash. When i tried to empty the trash, the task could not be completed because the docs i tried to delete did not have "sufficient permissions."

So I moved on to the pics and mp3s, but for those folders, I can not even move the items (folders or files) to the trash. It says to enter my password (which i do), but nothing happens. The password box disappears, but the files arent' moved to the trash.

Referencing the suggestion above to delete the files under a different user sounds like a good one-time fix. But i'm going to be deleting/organizing a lot of these files over days or weeks, ...I'd rather have a solution to permanently update the permissions to these files, so that they work like every other file.

Back