Cannot Boot from anything but OSX!?!

Al-Rashid

Registered
Cannot Boot from ANYTHING but the internal OSX 10.2.4 HD.

Cannot startup from internal OS9hd, NO CD's, not Firewire, nothing!! WTF!?!

G4 450DP/1gb RAM/120gb HD's x2

Does your problem start after trying to boot to your internal 9?

I've had similar issues lately (not on my machines, luckily). On one system I was able to fix it by running the OS 9.2.2 updater via Classic. For whatever reason, once the boot command had been issued to to the (apparently) bad OS 9 install, it mucked everything else up. Booting into X allowed alternate boot methods with the exception of the bad(?) 9 install.

not what systems, what methods?

holding down the option key, using system prefs, booting from a disk by holding C key down, etc?

All of those;
Booting from CD holding down the "C" key (various CD's)
Booting from the Boot Manager (CD's and Firewire drives)
Setting the Startup volume in Sys Prefs (CD's and Firewire drives)

did this just start happening? did anything happen before hand like a crash or power outage? will classic boot in os x?

you might try a disk repair app like diskwarrior, techtool pro or drive10. also, can you boot up in single user mode (apple & S) and run fsck?

Ed-
This problem manifests itself yet again immediately after an Apple OSX Update (to 10.2.6 this time. Last time it was 10.2.4, if I recall).

I've tried every boot method and most every Utility on CD known to man. At least this time I can boot an OSX CD, but booting an OS9 CD/utiltity is futility; it will not happen, period.

I've seen several posts over the last months with this same problem manifested. Any idea what gives?

Back